Problem flowing 4 inch PVC into 3 inch cast iron?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by skip, Aug 21, 2005.

1. skip

skip New Member

Looking to see if I've made a mistake here. I've got an old (1920s) house that I added about 30 feet of 4 inch PVC pipe to drain two bathrooms into an existing cast iron drain that goes out to the street. The existing cast iron pipe outer diameter measures 3.3 inches (circumference= 10-3/8). Is this a "3 inch" cast iron drain pipe size?

Is it OK to be flowing from the larger 4 ID to a smaller 3 ID or am I asking for blockages here? I made the connection using a rubber sleeve (with hose clamps) that fit on the cast iron hub OD and the OD of the PVC, so the flow path gets smaller by going through the cast iron hub.

Thanks for your help.
  2. its ok

it would have been better if it were 4 inch all the way ,
    but you got to do what you got to do,,, thats your
    mistake you got to live with.

I doubt the fixture units you have added
    will make much difference going into the 3 inch
    anyway...

my only advice might be to put some sort of clean out
    at where you have to reduce from the 4 down to the
    existing 3 inch cast pipe...

makeing the reduction on a verticle drop into the
    3 inch pipe might be wiser . ---instead of on a horizontal
    Also reduce down with a 3x4 pvc bell reducer for better flow.

it will most likely work fine as long as you have a
    cleanout at the bell near by just in case it were ever to stop
    up on occasion

wait and see what happens
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

reducer

You have created a lifetime of aggravation for yourself. You NEVER reduce the size of a drain line in the direction of flow. If you could find an eccentric reducer so that the bottom surfaces were level, then it would be less of a problem, but the way you have done it, there will always be a "pond" of water at the reduction. That pond is going to cause the sewage to slow down, and the solids may stay in the "pond" while the water continues on down the drain. Your problems will be the same as if you had a sag in the line.
  4. skip

skip New Member

sketch added

Thanks to both repliers. I thought I'd add a sketch to help show the connection I made that I'm concerned about. I connected the PVC to a cast iron WYE that is horizontal (pointing slightly down pitch). While I won't have the puddling suggested, I also don't have the benefit of going into a vertical run. This is in a crawl space at ground level as the cast iron is going to the sewer. I did put a 3 inch clean out about 30 feet upstream in the 4 inch PVC. Its in a closet on the main floor. Any more thoughts?

Attached Files:

5. oh , it will probably work....

well it will probably work out ok because you
    are on a verticle drop into the wye.... you got lucky there..

its all done now, but a clean out near that spot might be
    good...but if you put one back about 30 feet , it just
    means you got to get a cable with at least 40 foot on it...

by the time the water gets down the line 20 feet or so
    it is going to be running pretty flatin that 4 inch pipe
    and will most likely not know the difference when it gets
    dropped into the 3 inch...

if you used a 4x3 FERNCO it should slide right through with
    very little aggravation
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, this isnt anything I would be particulary proud of,

mistakes do happen, but I would not be bragging
    too much about this one

and you might want to hide that mess under a mound of
    dirt if you ever plan on sellling the
    house someday...or it could very well come back to haunt you..

but all in all it will most likely work for a long time...

just wait and see
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  6. finnegan

finnegan New Member

I agree. While this is wrong, it should work ok. I would not bother with adding the clean out until you need it.
  7. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

hope an inspector isn,t going to see this one!

if so ,you,re in trouble good luck
  8. Kristi

Kristi Tradesman Plumber

sorry, last minute question when you're already well and finished with this one... two bathrooms? why didn't you make it 3" instead of 4"?
  9. skip

skip New Member

why not 3"?

Oddly enough the house has two different sewer connections. One running to the north that serviced the bathrooms, which was 4" cast iron,and this one I tied into which is the 3" going to the south, servicing the kitchen/laundry. The 4" had tree root problem that would clog up once/year and so I wanted to stop that. Then I was worried I traded one problem for another. I actually didn't realize the one to the south was only 3" until I ran the new 4" PVC over to it (about 30 feet) and then went to tie in. Its in a separate crawl space for the kitchen addition versus the main house.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005