Problem - Closet Flange to Lead Bend

Users who are viewing this thread

madhavok

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just found this site and seems like lots of useful info. I'm currently renovating a 1955 bathroom and yesterday hit a problem regarding the soil piping for the toilet.

It looks like I have lead piping coming up through the concrete slab of the house. I assume the lead goes to a cast iron hub but can't see it as it is either imbedded in the concrete or under it. The lead pipe is currently flared on to a brass closet flange. What I need to do is to install an offset closet flange as I need to move the toilet 2". Is there anyway I can remove the existing closet flange and install a new one with an offset?

Also I'm not sure this help me but the subfloor is actually on 2x4 sleepers resting on the concrete slab so I have 4 or 5 inches of pipe sticking out with the existing flange.

Thannk you!

madhavok

Reaction score
Unfortunetly for me, I have to offset 2" to the side because to the old tub was a funny shape and size.

So something like this wouldn't help me?
http://www.plumbsource.net/product/49421/Brass-Closet-Flange---Offset-4-x-2.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=49421&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=49421

Also could there be anyway to transition from the lead in the slab to pvc? Like I mentioned before I have at least 5" of pipe sticking out, from the slab to finished floor.

Otherwise I'm looking at jack hammering slab, removing lead, donut in the cast iron hub to pvc and repour concrete............

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Let's see what hj says. He knows more about lead then I do.
You might look at the Caroma 270 bowl too. That has a built in 2" offset that can go sidewise.

http://www.caromausa.com/database/files/Bondi_270_EH_ELG_tech_manual.pdf

With a 4" flange, you can offset 1-3/8""
The horn of most bowls is 2-5/8", and you can push the bowl over toward one side.

With a 3" drain, you can move it 3/8".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lead is a pliable material so if you break the concrete to the side where you need the bend, AND loosen the fill dirt around it under the concrete, back to the cast iron hub, you will be able to shift the bend sideways without doing anything to it.

madhavok

Reaction score
HJ, good point. At that point should I just change it out to PVC? How much life can be expected from the lead and it's seal in the cast iron?

I know its worked for the last 57 years, I just don't want to put a new bathroom in now and fine I have a bigger problem a few years down the road.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No way to tell. It could go bad tomorrow, or it could last for another 50 years. One thing to realize with PVC, ABS, or cast iron is that a "small" movement can be more difficult to do than a large one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks