Priming The Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

filadajunk

Reaction score
I have a pump priming question as well. Hopefully this isn't getting old to everyone.
On the top of my wellhead I have, what appear to be, two plugs. One, which is located approximately in the center of the pump is just a large plug. To the left of this (from where I'm standing it's to the left) is another plug. This one has a screw post in the center of it.
My assumption is that the large plug in the center of the pump is where I would do my priming. Is the plug on the left with the screw post in it a bleeder? Could I just prime in the center plug and open the faucet on the outflow side of my pump to bleed the line or do I need to do it from the top of the pump?
Thanks for your help!
This is a wonderful site. I very much appreciate the assistance folks give here. I wish there were more that I could say than just thank you.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have a submersible pump. Priming is not required. If you have a jet pump, you prime the pump, not the top of the well. There should be a plug on top of the pump. That is where you pour the water.

bob...

filadajunk

Reaction score
Hi bob.
Thanks for the info. I knew that I didn't prime the well but the pump. My question was, basically, which plug on the top of the pump was the one I was supposed to use to prime it. I replaced my bladder this morning and everything is working much better and I didn't have to prime the pump.
For future reference, is the plug in the middle of the pump the one I would use to prime it? The plug to the left of that one appears to be plastic with a screw adjustment mechanism in the center of it. I don't know what it's for so I don't touch it but I just wasn't sure which plug was the one I should remove to prime the pump.
Thanks again.
Wayne

Speedbump

Reaction score
The one with the screw in it is a rinky dink backpressure control. It is only good for getting the pump primed initially on deep well applications. The rest of the time, it should be screwed all the way out. Use the other plug for priming. It should be 1" or 3/4".bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks