priming 7,ooo ft siphon

Users who are viewing this thread

firebird

Reaction score
Greetings.
I would like to bring water from a pond 7,000 ft away from a remote work area. The pond is 60 vertical feet above the work area. The terrain is level for the first 6,000 ft from the pond until it drops 60 ft over the last 1,000 ft. I hope to use 1.5 in hdpe pipe with a valve at the lower end and another valve at the 6,000 ft location at the beginning of the elevation change. My hope is that I could use a 2 in honda trash pump to push water through the 1.5 in hdpe to prime the entire length so i will have water on demand using a valve down at the site. I imagine closing the valve at the lower site and opening the valve at the 6,000 ft point until the lower section fills up and water comes out of the upper valve. Then shutting off the pump and leaving the intake in the pond for water on demand. I am wondering if the 2 in trash pump will be able to push the water that far and anything else I might want to consider.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe will be level so ANY pump can push the water to fill it. You do not need a valve at the upper end, just have the inlet opening under the water's surface once the pipe is full of water. As soon as you open the "outlet" valve water will start to flow. If you want to keep the pump inline, it might cause severe restriction or stop the flow entirely if it is a "diaphragm' pump, rather than a centrifugal one.

firebird

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. My concern is getting all the air out of the pipe. I think there might be a point at a certain distance from the pump where the water only partially fills the hdpe pipe. As far as the pump being inline, I hope to connect the pump's discharge hose directly to the intake of the hdpe to push the water and when removing it, doing so underwater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks