Prier Frost Free Faucet, fixing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
I am starting to winterize my house, and draining the hoses. I find that a freeze proof faucet won't turn off completely. It was fine 7 months ago.

Hopefully there is a way to fix it, because replacing it will be difficult. On the inside, where it connects to the water line, it is in a corner with cable tv lines running all around it. Unscrewing it would be a bear.

I can't read the brand; Prier or Drier maybe? Presumably you will recognize it. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 786

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found this from a Prier Tech. Different model, but does has some info.

Turn the shutoff valve OFF, using a crescent wrench, loosen the nut behind the handle and after is it loose, unthread the stem out of the valve. Inspect the stem and make sure it is complete. Once the valve is out of the hydrant, turn the water on to flush out the hydrant, after flushing the hydrant, reinstall and stem and valve stem cap, and you should be repaired.

prier-hosebib-terrylove.jpg

A recent one with the vacuum breaker on top.

Last edited:

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
I found this from a Prier Tech. Different model, but does has some info.

Turn the shutoff valve OFF, using a crescent wrench, loosen the nut behind the handle and after is it loose, unthread the stem out of the valve. Inspect the stem and make sure it is complete. Once the valve is out of the hydrant, turn the water on to flush out the hydrant, after flushing the hydrant, reinstall and stem and valve stem cap, and you should be repaired.

Well I got it out, but the washer is cooked.
The replacement washer is $8.
Prier says it is a "standard 00 beveled bib washer.
I called a hardware store and asked if they had that and they told me they had no idea; I have to bring it in and they will try to match it.
Are they likely to have one? Will they be able to match it when it is already damaged?
I hate to buy one for $8, but at least I will know it is right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I called a hardware store and asked if they had that and they told me they had no idea; I have to bring it in and they will try to match it.
Are they likely to have one?
Some hardware stores have a lot of good stuff. So I would say it depends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks