Price Phister Avante Single Shower Valve Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Lowell Peters

Reaction score
Hello. I have a single shower valve that won't shut off. I've looked at the body of the valve and it has "7105" on the top. It also has "tub" on the bottom and what looks like "SHWR" on the top. In very small print on the white part of the valve visible to me it lists 9268.

To save my life I can't get the cartridge out. I've pulled and pulled but it feels like something is retaining it. There is no retaining clip that I can see. It's a house built in the early 70's and I'm almost sure this is original equipment.

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_1018[1].JPG
    IMG_1018[1].JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,569
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "retaining clip" was the thing you unscrewed from the valve. Put the screw back into the stem a few turns. (I assume you have the water turned off), push the stem in and then YANK it out with a pair of pliers. You may have to do it a couple of times but it will pop out. That is a Price Pfister, (now just Pfister), Avante stem available at all big box stores and most hardware stores.

avante-cartridge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowell Peters

Reaction score
Appreciate the response. I've tried that and short of attaching a rope to the bumper of my truck it won't come out. I noticed a very small hole on the stem that sticks out and was wondering if this was some kind of "keeper". If all else fails can I just drill the thing out? Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That "little hole" is where you screw the screw in, (use the one that held the handle on). You do NOT need a rope on a truck. Just grab the screw with pliers, push it in and then YANK it out hard. It WILL come out after a couple of yanks. I have done hundreds of them and they ALWAYS come out that way.

Reactions: SHR

SHR

Reaction score
I have done dozens of them and have always been able to remove them as hj stated. This cartridge is one of the easier to replace ones I deal with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Also, BEFORE you remove it, look to see which notch, the top or bottom, has the white tab, (your picture looks like it may be on the bottom), because if you do not insert the new one the same way, it will operate backwards.

Reactions: SHR

fthomas

Reaction score
To bring back up an old thread. I removed the valve and obtained a replacement. What I did not realize when taking it apart was that there was nothing there to retain it. It is a recent home sale and closing and all of a sudden the valve started leaking big time. Pulled it apart and got the valve out, but there was no retaining nut or anything. Does anyone know what is supposed to be there to retain the valve?

Marc Nonclerc

Reaction score
Alrighty, I've been reading and following along. I have the PP Avante valve with the single black cartridge. I have removed the handle and the nut retaining the cartridge, attached the screw to the stem and gave it several yanks. Unfortunately, the stem has pulled out of the cartridge and I have no idea how to extract the part still in the valve body. Do you have a nice way to extract that? The first picture is the part I bought.

Attachments

• 20150620_182629[1].jpg
    20150620_182629[1].jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 781
  • 20150620_182550[1].jpg
    20150620_182550[1].jpg
    77 KB · Views: 669
  • 20150619_173245[1].jpg
    20150619_173245[1].jpg
    51 KB · Views: 735

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Congratulations. You managed to do something I have NEVER done in decades of replacing those stems, in fact, I did not think it could be done. Now you need to make a strong "hook" possibly by heating a long slender screwdriver tip red hot and bending it 90 degrees so it will grab the inside so you can pull it out.

Marc Nonclerc

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply. I am great at doing things that other professionals have never seen. :) I have several ideas for "extractors" but aren't I going to hack up the inside of the valve by doing that? I know this is way outside your normal expertise but any idea how much of a hook length I should use. Seems to me it's possible I could stick a hook through the hole and catch the inside of the valve body rather than the cylinder. I'm also thinking of using more than 1 hook to try to extract it evenly. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like hj's idea of making a hook to pull it with.
With Moen, I sometimes will use a screw in the body of the cartridge to pull it out with. You do need to be carefull that whatever you use does not harm the brass body of the valve.

Marc Nonclerc

Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy a follow up and follow up question. So this thing (call it the outer portion of the cartridge) was stuck in the valve but good! I figured the rubber on the side had swollen and were not allowing it to slide out. So, what I did was take a pair of long-nosed vise grips and clamped on to the flange at the top right on the notch. After pulling and slipping off countless times, I was able to flex the flange forward enough to get a small screwdriver behind it. I though I might be able to push through the plastic and give me something substantial to pull on. I grabbed my friendly 16 oz persuader and gave the screwdriver a relatively light tap. The entire front facing surface broke off (the part the nut seats on) exposing the stuck outer cylinder with plenty of room to grab on to it with small vise grips. Another 15 minutes of vigorous pulling and the plastic part of the core came out, but the rubber portion right over the holes in the valve body were still in there! I had to go in with long-nosed pliers and literally peel them out of the valve body. They were somehow corroded into place. An important detail to the follow up question is that I did not have to stick anything hook-like or metal into the valve body. I was very careful when removing the rubber so as not to scratch the surfaces.

Putting it back together now, I got the replacement cartridge, put a little plumbers grease on the on the O-rings and rubber portions, and slipped it back in. It went in smooth and easy, seating completely. I put the retaining nut back on, attached the knob and tested. Everything seems to work, hot and cold, but when I shut it off, I have a fairly rapid drip, in either hot or cold positions. There is also a minor vibration in the cold side (maybe the shut off valve?) when turned all the way cold. Since no one is taking ice cold showers, that's not much on an issue. But I sure would like to get rid of that drip before I silicon seal the faceplate.

Is it the seat at the very base of the stem that causing the leak? Do I need another cartridge maybe?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to check the brass casting to see what the issue is.
Maybe some emory cloth in there to smooth things up. Or maybe a new valve body if there is damage.

Confused E

Reaction score
It's funny when I contacted Price Pfister's customer service about this shower faucet valve, hoping to get more information regarding the integral stops. They claim this unit is not one of their own.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You talked to someone who knows NOTHING about their product. The only way an Avante stem would fit into it would be if it were an Avante body, which it IS.

Marc Nonclerc

Reaction score
You talked to someone who knows NOTHING about their product. The only way an Avante stem would fit into it would be if it were an Avante body, which it IS.

I must agree as the replacement part I purchased and is pictured above fit perfectly. Although I do have a small leak and have emory papered the valve body, it does appear to be the right part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks