Price Pfister won't regulate temp in shower, needs a new valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ferrellmc

Reaction score
The Price Pfister in the shower won't regulate temperature anymore so I need a new control valve. I'm in a condo and there is no main water shut off in the condo; maintenance needs to shut off the building and drain. However just to the right and left of the shower valve are two screws that appear to be shut off valves. Can you confirm if these are shut off valves? Also they seem to be fairly stuck, any tips are appreciated.
showervalve_950px.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To free the rusty screws, apply a lubricant or oil, wait a little and try to turn it clockwise.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Most likely those are shutoffs to the valve for just this reason. You could open a can o worms just by tighteneing....may be some bad orings washers a bad valve seat etc just waiting for you to tighten it!!!!Before you go and tighten both of them to check to make sure you have indeed shut the supply to the valve off. BE WARNED as ive already been here........There is a reason condos and hi rises have to shut down the stack beforehand .... 1 of the reasons may be so they can be sure to have a flood insured licensed plumber on hand , in my experience its one plumber approved by association mgmt that can work on the building . If you gamble and go commando, may the forces be w/you.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" I'm in a condo and there is no main water shut off in the condo;"

All condos that I've seen have shut off valves as the mains come into the units. Shutting the main to the entire complex is only necessary when the individual shut offs malfunction.

Look for your shut off with a magnifying glass. If you find it and if it's working properly, then you can start working on your faucet body.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Ive built showers in multiple hi rises here in my area , you know 20-30 floors up, and they have had to shut down stacks, and no localized shutoffs??? But im not a plumber so disregard! I have also worked in smaller condos that have a shut off elsewhere in the unit so you have A valid point there dj2. I just sleep better when i dont touch the plumbing in a condo! Where is Jim to clear this all up for us? Jim??

Last edited:

SHR

Reaction score
In Minnesota current code requires condos to all have individual unit shut-offs. Very nice. Of course whether or not the older condos have them is a crap shoot.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
In Minnesota current code requires condos to all have individual unit shut-offs. Very nice. Of course whether or not the older condos have them is a crap shoot.

Valid info there SHR.... If you get down to Falls Pinnacle NE Mpls. Stacks shut down and forced to use their contracted plumber which I wont name.!!! but you basically are at the mercy of that one company and have no say or you simply have to use them if you wanna work in that building in the end you pay whatever bill they send to you!! Then get down to 1200 on the mall Good times.

The keyword you used is CURRENT.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks