Price Pfister single handle kitchen faucet - sticky lever

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Probedude, May 10, 2009.

1. Probedude

Probedude New Member

I've got a Price Pfister single handle kitchen faucet with ceramic valve innards that 'sticks' when you try to operate it. Makes trying to get the flow you want challenging as the lever sticks - breaks free - sticks - breaks free as you try to adjust flow.

It's as if the ceramic sliding discs are too smooth and stick together (at least when I've had it apart and just sliding them with my hands this too is what's happening).

Is the mating surface between the two discs supposed to be lubed? If so, what kind of lube?

I'm tempted to replace this with a single handle Delta.

TIA,
    Dave
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Ceramic Discs

Get yourself some water proof plumbers grease and put a light coat on the disc and see if that helps. if not you may have to replace them, luck. :)
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pp

Call 1-800-PFAUCET and have them send you a new stem/core.
  4. Probedude

Probedude New Member

It came with the house, I'm not the original purchaser, don't have the receipt and their 'model # lookup' help on their website didn't help me pinpoint the model.

Will they still send parts out if I eventually figure out the model # with no receipt and not being the original purchaser?

Dave
  5. Probedude

Probedude New Member

update:

Took it apart again today and used Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant on it.
    It works like a dream now!

Wife didn't know why I was fixing it until I asked her to give it a try after I put it back together.

"WOW!" was her response. The different is night vs day.
  6. hj

faucet

They may ask, but do not check who originally owned the faucet, and they can usually determine the model from your description of it to them. No receipt or proof of purchase is needed.
  7. hj

faucet

If the discharge was steel galvanized, the fittings WOULD be standard "pressure" fittings not drainage ones.