Price Pfister shower stall handle

Users who are viewing this thread

JHOT

Reaction score
I had the handle break off from the plastic cartridge. I don't know If I installed it wrong. I've taken it out 2 times. I only get lukewarm water on the hot side. Am I installing it wrong or what? It looks like it can only be done one way. Like
i said I've taken it out 2 times and still the problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Remove the temperature limiting stop and see if you can rotate the handle to the fully hot position. IF you have a pressure balanced unit, the spool could be sticking.

JHOT

Reaction score
Ok when I take the handle off and the metal sleeve and then I take a crescent wrench and unscrew that piece, What is left is the plastic valve that slides in to the water supply.It controls the hot and cold water supply. Before the plastic valve was replaced I got hot water. I don't have a camera to take a pic. I bought the new piece from Home Depot for a Price Pfister shower handle. It's not a combo shower and tube. Its a shower enclosure.Could there be an obstruction? If so , is this a plumbers job or can i do it. I'm trying to save a buck.

JHOT

Reaction score
What is the temp limiting stop? The handle turns easily both ways to hot and cold. Before I changed that plastic turn valve, I had Hot water. Could there maybe an obstruction? I did notice when I rook the valve out a second time the o rings were smashed. I put new ones on and no difference. I think there is only 1 way to install it. I'm trying to save a buck, by trying to fix myself.

JHOT

Reaction score
A picture of what you have would be very helpful...

I have identified the part. Its the cartrige assembly part #974-292 This is what i have rpelaced and I just get the luke warm water on hot side. Is there a right way and a wrong way to install it? Or could there be an obstruction? I Had hot watter before . The cartridge is plastic. It broke when I pulled on the handle. I have taken it out 2 times and reinstalled it, I still get the same, luke warm water on the hot side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know how PF does their hot water limit control, but all new valves have some means of preventing the handle from allowing the water to get too hot. Part of the install instructions tell you how to set and adjust that limit. This could be a screw, a cam, or some other thing. It may just be that that is adjusted such that you can't get very hot. Often, if you have really cold water in the winter, and you've adjusted the thing properly in the summer, it won't be hot enough for those who like it really hot because the limiter won't allow enough hot to come through. SO, you have to figure out how to adjust it, and then, only after you've adjusted it to provide more hot, can you determine if there's a fault, or it's just an adjustment you need to figure out.

JHOT

Reaction score
Jim Thanks for the info . Greatly appreciated. I'm in AZ and our water lines are set 18 inches in the ground. no frost line here LOL. Maybe in N AZ. I live in the phoenix area. I looked at he cartridge and its just a plastic piece with a part the lets the handle attach to the valve. I don't see anything like a screw or anything. I might just have a defective one. I found the part and part # on Price Pfister's web site. I'm going to take it completely out, turn the water back on and see if there might have a clog or something.The funny thing is I got plenty of hot water before I changed this cartridge. I'm a jack of all trades and a MATER of none lol. Again thanks for the help!! I can fix anything that's glass lol

JIM HOTTON
Glendale ,AZ
Retired Glazier LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CAN install it upside down, but then you would get hot water instead of cold, and vice versa. Arizona does NOT have any COLD water in the summer time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks