Price Pfister Avante. How to remove a stem from shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

templeavenue

Reaction score
I need to fix the leak from the shower head.

I search on the web and I THINK it is a moen single handle type.

I think it's similar (maybe the same) as this one https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?25556-Shower-Faucet-Identification

I saw some videos and a bit confused what/how to do.. Remove the whole thing or just the cartridge using a special tool..

I have attached some pics..

Can someone guide me how to fix it? And what tools I would need to do the job.

Attachments

• 20130813_071837.jpg
    20130813_071837.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 20130813_071936.jpg
    20130813_071936.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4,767

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT a Moen. It is a Price Pfister Avante valve. I fixed one yesterday and it was NOT a DIY job the homeowner could do himself, although he did give it a valiant effort to do it.

pp_avante_valve.jpg

avante-cartridge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

templeavenue

Reaction score
It is NOT a Moen. It is a Price Pfister Avante valve. I fixed one yesterday and it was NOT a DIY job the homeowner could do himself, although he did give it a valiant effort to do it.

Thanks HJ. I found a clip similar to the one I have. From the video, it seems like not that difficult to do it (assuming using the right tools).

Can you explain which part is difficult?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

templeavenue

Reaction score
The one I did, and yours appears to be the same way, had the nut so corroded that it was VERY difficult to loosen it without distorting it.

Do you know if I use the penetrating oil will make easy loosing the nut?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you know if I use the penetrating oil will make easy loosing the nut?
The mineral deposit might respond better to a paper towel soaked in vinegar, then covered with some plastic and held in place with a rubber band overnight. Metal corrosion is one thing, adding mineral deposits onto/into the threads is another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks