Price Pfister Avante. How to remove a stem from shower?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by templeavenue, Aug 13, 2013.

1. templeavenue

templeavenue New Member

I need to fix the leak from the shower head.

I search on the web and I THINK it is a moen single handle type.

I think it's similar (maybe the same) as this one http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?25556-Shower-Faucet-Identification

I saw some videos and a bit confused what/how to do.. Remove the whole thing or just the cartridge using a special tool..

I have attached some pics..

Can someone guide me how to fix it? And what tools I would need to do the job.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is NOT a Moen. It is a Price Pfister Avante valve. I fixed one yesterday and it was NOT a DIY job the homeowner could do himself, although he did give it a valiant effort to do it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  3. asktom

asktom Member

Your Price Pfister "Avante" uses OEM cartridge number 974-292.
  4. templeavenue

templeavenue New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVm7J9OVuc

[video=youtube;BBVm7J9OVuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVm7J9OVuc[/video]

Thanks HJ. I found a clip on youtube similar to the one I have. From the video, it seems like not that difficult to do it (assuming using the right tools).

Can you explain which part is difficult?

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The one I did, and yours appears to be the same way, had the nut so corroded that it was VERY difficult to loosen it without distorting it.
  6. templeavenue

templeavenue New Member

Do you know if I use the penetrating oil will make easy loosing the nut?
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The mineral deposit might respond better to a paper towel soaked in vinegar, then covered with some plastic and held in place with a rubber band overnight. Metal corrosion is one thing, adding mineral deposits onto/into the threads is another.
  8. asktom

asktom Member

Try tapping the nut lightly many, many times with a hammer.