Price Pfiister cartridge

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by big2bird, Mar 2, 2013.

1. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

I purchased a new faucet for the new bathroom. Cleaned the screens and flushed it out. 3 weeks later the hot side is clogged in the cartridge. Bought a new cartridge, flushed it out and cleaned the screen. 3 weeks later, same thing. Wrote the company. New cartridge. 3 weeks later, same thing. It's getting old.
    The screen is intact and fine. It's always the hot side only, and the screen is clear and identical to the cold. Any ideas? All I can think of is contamination in the short factory hose, but after flushing I get the same deal in 3 weeks again.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What model faucet is it? You can be almost positive it is NOT coming from the hose, but where is it getting plugged up if it is not in the screen. That should be the only place with openings small enough to plug, but, so far, I have not seen a Pfister Pfaucet with screens in the cartridge.
  3. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

Repeated clogging of screens on the hot side only would surely point to junk in the hot water piping/water heater, no? I can't see how that is in any
    way the responsibility of the faucet mfr., but they amazingly sent you a new cartridge anyway. Nice guys!
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Exactly. Wouldn't that suggest that sediment or other schmutz from the hot water heater is clogging the thing?
  5. hj

Except he states that the screen is "clean and looks like the cold side", and therefore, I, at least, do not know where it is getting plugged up.
  6. big2bird

7. big2bird

That's the rub. The faucet has a short 9" or so factory hose, with screens in the nuts/ferrules you extend with hoses to the shut off cocks. The screen is always clean, yet the "cartridge" clogs only on the hot side. It is quite the mind blowing deal here.
  8. big2bird

No junk in the hot water. Screen is clean and clear.
    If I pull the cartridge, flush the unit, and install a new cartridge, 3 weeks later, JUST the hot is reduced to dribble. The factory has a hard time believing me, but they sent me a new cartridge. Now, 4 weeks later, here I go again. Crap.
  9. big2bird

So I suppose the only "theory" would be sediment small enough to pass the screen, but large enough to clog the cartridge. Correct?
  10. hj

The only "theory" would be to get into the cartridge and actually SEE what the problem is, instead of guessing.