Prevent siphoning out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
I got a pump that pumps water out of a pond. The piping is 2" but I can go smaller if I need too. Problem is when you turn on the pump and then turn it off it will continue to siphon out. How can I prevent this? Do they make an antisiphon thingy for it. Thanks:D

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
A simple atmospheric vacuum break (valve) should do the trick...
Someone correct me if I am wrong...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
siphon

If l am interpreting your question properly, a simple atmospheric air vent, (they go by many different brand names, ProVent, Studor, etc.), used in plumbing system will seal while the pump is running and open when it shuts off to break the siphonage.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
How far is the outlet of the siphon below the level of the pond?

Where is the pump relative to the surface of the pond, and relative to the high point in the pipe coming out of the pond? If you break the siphon, will it cause the pump to lose prime?

Willl

Reaction score
I am guessing from the level of the pond to the place where it is pump out is about 6 to 8 feet. The pump is a simple submersible pump on the bottom and the pipe connects to the pump goes up and over the water surface by about one foot and then tapers off downward to the place of discharge where it is roughly 6 to 8 feet below water surface. thanks

Willl

Reaction score
Searching the internet for this valve becuase I am never going to find it locally I think I found it on mcmaster.com. Would something like this work in the 2". They aren't cheap though. about 80 dollars

Also if this is best for my application how does one install it. I am assuming that the part that looks like a hat needs to be ontop and installed vertically and the arrow represents the direction of water flow and that part of the elbow with the arrow on it will be installed horizontally. And this valve needs to be at the highest point in the piping. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
robj said:
Also if this is best for my application how does one install it. I am assuming that the part that looks like a hat needs to be ontop and installed vertically and the arrow represents the direction of water flow and that part of the elbow with the arrow on it will be installed horizontally. And this valve needs to be at the highest point in the piping. Thank you

100% correct...
The bottom of the vacuum break has to be at least 6" above the highest outlet in your piping...
In your case, you could put it where the pipe exits the pond prior to running downhill....

Willl

Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't gotten around to order it yet. I was wondering if a pressure vacuum breaker would work even better. Don't know to much of a difference between the two but I read in a place that they are better. From the place I was looking at buying it from this was there description of it.

2" Buckner Brass PVB

New 2" PVB backflow preventor.

Description
2" female pipe thread inlet and outlet
Use in constant pressure systems to prevent backflow
Atmospheric backflow prevention
5 psi loss at 120 GPM
Bronze body for durability
The PVB is designed to be installed to provide protection against backsiphonage of toxic or non-toxic liquids. It consists of a spring loaded check valve which closes when the pressure in the assembly drops below 1 PSI or when zero flow occurs, pls an air relief valve that opens to break a siphon when the pressure in the assembly drops to 1 PSI.
Typical applications are to protect against health hazzard and non-health hazzard backsiphonage conditions in industrial plants, cooling towers, laboratories, laundries, swimming pools, and lawn sprinkler systems.

Thanks as always:)

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Describe your application in more detail. What's happening to this pumped water? What make and model of pump to you have?

Willl

Reaction score
The water just gets pumped out into an area where trees, grass etc. grow. It is a Coleman 2" solids sewage pump, 6/10 hp, 115 volt, 155 gpm at 5' head. Model number is 60-AHSWP but I couldn't find it over then net. Thanks :cool:

Willl

Reaction score
Anybody know this one. Essentially I was wondering if a pressure vacuum breaker is better than a atmospheric vacuum breaker for my application. I am also kinda curious to know the difference between the two. Thanks:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks