prestubbed shower drain in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Sn8

Reaction score
Hello,

My basement is already stubbed for a bathroom. the pipes are connected to my main sewer drain. My question is in regards to my shower drain pipe. I need to build up the shower pan bed but need to prep the drain first. What are my options here? the builder filled in the gaps around the pipe for some reason so I am not sure what to do. Do i need to chisel the concrete from around the pipe and use a standard shower drain or is there some kind of drain i can fit into the opening once i cut it to ground level. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Nate

Attachments

• IMG_8755.JPG
    IMG_8755.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_8756.JPG
    IMG_8756.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,172
Reaction score
You need to cut the drain specific to what the manufacturer of the shower pan tells you to.

You can't premonition this. Decide your shower system, then listen to whatever it whispers you to do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Regardless, you will need to break concrete for the drain.
A preformed pan will have a drain that that sets down lower than the floor, and won't be centered for it. In most cases, you will cut the p-trap below and install a new one in the correct location.
If you are doing a mud set pan, the hole still needs to be deepened to attach the clamping drain for the vinyl liner. You can get by with an off center drain though.

clamping-drain.jpg

Last edited:

Sn8

Reaction score
Regardless, you will need to break concrete for the drain.
A preformed pan will have a drain that that sets down lower than the floor, and won't be centered for it. In most cases, you will cut the p-trap below and install a new one in the correct location.
If you are doing a mud set pan, the hole still needs to be deepened to attach the clamping drain for the vinyl liner. You can get by with an off center drain though.

I'm doing a mud set pan and there is already a ptrap under the slab. I'll break up the concrete around the drainpipe then for the clamping drain.

Thanks Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks