Pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by kingpin, Apr 19, 2012.

1. kingpin

kingpin New Member

Have a submersable jet pump. Noticed the pump kicking on and off. Drained system and found no air in bladder -(well-x-trol-wx-202). Charged (28psi) still could not get above 40 psi. Changed gage. Same results. tried adjusting pressure switch-No change-changed pressure switch-no change. I would appreciate any ideas- I am not sure what is in the well(pump-size etc) it is about 60 feet from house and 100' deep. The old and new pressure switch was a 30-50psi. When pump shuts off the pressure holds but just can't see to get it to 50#.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I have never heard of such a thing so perhaps you could clarify. If it truly is a jet pump and it is the jet that's submersed, perhaps the jet is clogged.

If there is more than one checkvalve in the system, it could be masking a leak in the pipe.
  3. kingpin

kingpin New Member

I guess I cant say it is a jet pump but it is submerged. As i saifd I am not very familiar with water pump systems. I dont know for sure but if it was a check valve wouldnt it lose pressure?
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Most submersible pumps will have a checkvalve built into it. Some may have an external checkvalve connected to the pump with a short nipple. Some pumpmen have been known to add additional checkvalves in the line. If you have a leak between the pump and a checkvalve, the pump cannot get up to pressure, yet the pressure will hold, masking the leak.
  5. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

If it's truly a submersible pump the whole pump is in the well and if it won't build to 50# you have a pump problem. If it's an above ground jet pump with the jet in the well, the nozzle in the jet assembly is plugged with debris. In that case you'll have to remove the jet (injector assembly) from the well and clean out the 1/4" nozzle.