Pressure Testing Shower Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I installed a shower on the second floor of my home. There was no previous plumbing in the room. I had plumbers do some of the rough in. I roughed in the shower control valve. I soldered copper to each side of the valve and ran the copper through a stud. At that point, I soldered Uponer nipples to the ends of the hot and cold copper lines and then hooked up the Uponer pex to those nipples.

I ran straight copper from the top of the shower valve up to the shower nozzle drop-ear.

At the other end of the Uponer lines, down in the basement, they tie into valves coming off the cold and hot water to my water heaters.

I need to air or water pressure test the shower valve before closing everything in. How would I connect to the lines to, for example, put air on them? Do I need to cut the Uponer lines free of the valves at the hot water heater and then install an air hose nipple? Where would I put a pressure gauge?

If I cap things off and just turn the water on, I suspect no water would get to the second floor because it would be air locked unless I didn't cap the shower nozzle and left it open to bleed the lines.

I would appreciate some direction here. I've not been able to find a youtube video or anything else showing how this is done.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally we would install a nipple and cap at the shower head and turn the water on. It's nice to have someone handy with a phone in case you need to shut back down again.

If you air test, you pick up that part first to seen what the connection is.

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
Thanks. I turned the water on and let the air flush out of the shower nipple and then turned the control valve off and let everything sit under pressure. No water drips!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks