Pressure Testing & Cleanouts

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by PeteSC, Nov 26, 2012.

1. PeteSC

PeteSC New Member

I pressure tested my DWV system yesterday for leaks using a test plug and filling the drain lines with water to flood level of the highest fixture. There were a few drips from two cleanouts in the system - would Teflon tape around the cleanout plug get rid of that? Is it even something to bother with?

Thanks.
  2. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

A retired plumber told me to use wax from a cheap wax gasket. Not only does it seal, but it screws in and out rather nicely.
  3. PeteSC

PeteSC New Member

Ooohhh.....I like that idea. Thanks!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They are not under pressure, unless the drain is clogged, so you don't really have to worry about them. Testing is usually done to 10' above the floor, not the flood line of the fixtures.
  5. PeteSC

PeteSC New Member

Thanks. I've understood that a little drip from the cleanout wasn't anything to fret over but in the end it really comes down to what my inspector wants to see. Same for the pressure test - inspector instructed me to test it to the flood level of the highest fixture, so that's what was done.