Pressure test PEX with air compressor pressure regulator

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chuckd83, Jan 20, 2014.

1. chuckd83

chuckd83 New Member

I replumbed my house with PEX and now want to pressure test it. I would rather do it with air. Uponor says to bring it up to 120 psi to condition the pipe for 30 minutes. Then take it down to 80 psi for 2-24 hours.

Can I use my air compressor pressure regulator to do this?

1. Connect compressor to one fitting and set line to 120 psi.

2. Bring up to 120 psi for 30 minutes then down to 80 psi.

3. Check pressure at second fitting for 2-24 hours.

??? my first time.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There is not much volume in a supply piping system so you will want to be careful not to overdo it. Tee in a regular pressure gauge and a threaded schrader valve anywhere in the system. Make sure you are not pressurizing any fixtures or appliances! Leave the gauge in place for the duration of the test. (I would mount a gauge permanently where there is an unfinished space like a utility room or basement.) I use a regular bicycle pump with a long hose to pump up the system.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. edwardh1

edwardh1 Member

one risk of every "hydro" is over pressurizing the item being tested and damaging it.
    is the 120 50& above working pressure? soundes high
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The safety pressure release on a water heater opens at 150psi...120 isn't too high.
  5. chuckd83

chuckd83 New Member

Thanks for the advice. As to the 120 psi comments, here are the Uponor instructions:

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pex-a installed with the expansion system, is IMHO, more robust than when using crimped connections. But, neither should be a problem at the pressures indicated.