pressure tank yes or no

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by 54JVR, Jul 25, 2005.

1. 54JVR

54JVR New Member

If I am going to be using my well strictly for irrigation do I need to have a pressure tank? I currently have the pump wired to go on with the sprinkler system. I heard something about water hamering the irrigation system. This stuff is new to me.

Also how critical is it for each station to have the same flow rate? Currently none of the stations are beyond pump capacity but some stations have three heads and others have four running at 3 gpm per head.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tank

If the pump runs continuously, then you do not need a tank. The purpose of the tank is to even out the on/off cycles and prevent the pump from cycling on and off constantly.