Pressure Tank Pros Help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

defkon99

Reaction score
I have owned my home for 5 years and my Pressure tank has begun to leak so i need a replacement.

Shortly after i moved the i replaced the Jet pump with the following which was similar to the original:
Craftsman Professional 1 hp Hydro-Glass® Convertible Jet Pump
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_08302522000P

So my Question is What Size Tank would be suitable for this pump?

My Home is a Single Bath and only houses 3 of us my wife and my son and myself.

Any Help would Greatly Be Appreciated.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
if u are going with bladder/diaphragm style tank, a good rule of thumb is to get a tank with a drawdown equal to the pumping gpm.

so if u are getting 15 gpm, use a tank with a 15gal drawdown.. if any concerns, going bigger with a tank is always better than going smaller. bigger the tank means fewer cycles, fewer cycles means longer pump life.

defkon99

Reaction score
Thanks Justwater,
But im so new to this think you can post some examples. I mean what s a good Tank with long life?

Thanks Again!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Pump manufacturers call for a pump to be off for at least 60 seconds before restarting so the motor can cool. So the drawdown gallons should be enough to allow that. A large tank and slow recovery well don't get along well so you should know your recovery rate before buying a large tank.

Wellxtrol and Goulds tanks are solid choices as are other national brands. They all have the same 5 yr warranty.

defkon99

Reaction score
Thank Gary !
I have a Well which pumps water into a Big Reserve Tank and from there it is connected to the 1Hp Pump.
I will def look into Goulds ans WellXtrol but im unsure of the size/gallons it should hold to purchase...

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably something like a WM-14 made by Pentair. 14 means 14 gallons of drawdown which should be plenty for this pump. Flexcon and Amtrol are also good tanks.

defkon99

Reaction score
Thanks Alot Texas Wellman, I will check this out!!

One thing say if i go with a 20 gallon how does that affect the system ? will i be able to run more water longer until the pump kicks on rather than a 14 gallon?

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
yes to your question, that is if you mean a 20 gallon drawdown tank. just a "20 gallon bladder tank" means about 6gal drawdown. 20 gal drawdown is actually a 65-80 gallon bladder tank. see if this give u a better idea, you can see flexcons models and they got a sizing chart.. http://www.flexconind.com/pdf/challengero_specs.pdf

like i said, bigger is better than smaller. bigger means your pump will run longer to fill the tank, and you can use more water before the pump restarts.. but like GS said u should make sure your well produces enough water for your pump to run the length of time it takes to fill the larger tank. so long as you dont have a low yield well you will be fine.

i prefer flexcon and well-x-trol tanks.

Last edited:

defkon99

Reaction score
yes to your question, that is if you mean a 20 gallon drawdown tank. just a "20 gallon bladder tank" means about 6gal drawdown. 20 gal drawdown is actually a 65-80 gallon bladder tank. see if this give u a better idea, you can see flexcons models and they got a sizing chart.. http://www.flexconind.com/pdf/challengero_specs.pdf

like i said, bigger is better than smaller. bigger means your pump will run longer to fill the tank, and you can use more water before the pump restarts.. but like GS said u should make sure your well produces enough water for your pump to run the length of time it takes to fill the larger tank. so long as you dont have a low yield well you will be fine.

i prefer flexcon and well-x-trol tanks.

Like i said i have a Reserve Tank Really huge one which is probably about 6 fit wide and almost 15 ft tall which the In ground Pump pushes water into, then the jet pump gets the water from and then is pushed to my home.

any idea how i can find out the maximum run time on the 1hp pump i have as i provided the link in my first post?

thanks again all this really is clearing up the fog in my mind

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry to fog up your mind again but, there is a better way. All of your water is stored in the big storage tank you mentioned. The only purpose for a pressure tank is to limit the number of times the pump cycles on and off. Making the pump run longer to fill the tank is important. But more water to use before the pump restarts, is only important if your pump shuts off while you are still using water.

A Cycle Stop Valve (CSV) makes the tank fill at 1 GPM. So you can get a minute of run time with a tank that only holds 1 gallon of water, which is a 4.4 gallon size tank. The CSV does not let the pump shut off as long as you are using water. So you don’t need much water in a pressure tank to give you the required amount of off time. If you are no longer using water when the pump shuts off, it won’t come back on until the next time you use water.

There are lots of other advantages to eliminating cycling. The main one you will notice the CSV will keep the pressure at a constant 50 PSI while you are in the shower. With a big pressure tank, the pressure will go from 60 to 40 then back to 60 again, the entire time you are in the shower. Not only will you like the steady 50 PSI from the CSV, but the water temperature will also not vary up and down.

defkon99

Reaction score

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
That is strangely sold by Northern tool and shipping will be outrageous. Not a sears tank at all.

Get out your yellow pages and call all the pump and drillers in the book. You can pick one up from a living human in your area for less and with real service.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
that is funny! i agree, has to be a typo. surely they wouldnt recommend 30-50 if the max working pressure was 50.. would they??

however, if its true.. thats garbage! notice flexcon has a max working pressure of 125 psi. i think even the fiberglass wellmate tanks have a 100psi max working pressure.

Last edited:

defkon99

Reaction score
Yea and ive seen some reviews on wellmate on lowes.com pretty bad...
However i found a Northern Tool in my Area and am thinking about getting this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200324863_200324863

Also now the 50 PSI does that mean max pressure you can fill with Air? Anyone Own a Tank Like this that can verify?

And if a 40/60 PSi 1Hp Pump wont kill this tank?

what do you guys think ?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the Big Box stores carry a line of W.W. stuff that is NOT the same as what the professionals use. Big difference. If you want to go with a big box store then you will get big box results. It will probably fail in 3-5 years if not sooner.

Well-X-Trol (Amtrol), Flexcon, Wellmate are all good quality tanks if you buy the professional series. Lowe's sells their stuff CHEAPER than I can buy my professional grade stuff. Lots of pump guys really like Well-X-Trol and Flexcon.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't see Amtrol but it looks to be How2O which is their cheaper version. It looks like it will do a good job and I noted that it had a 60 months warranty. It's got a 10 gallon draw down at 30/50 so it would be in the ball park but I would like to see you get a slightly bigger version, perhaps 12-14 gallons of drawdown but it would suffice. I know that I could not touch that price and that's cheaper than what I pay wholesale for my tanks so just keep that in mind.

If you decide to buy it make sure to give it a rating and report back on how you like it and if it does fail after a short while let us know.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks