Pressure tank on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

emmakesner

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm searching the Internet for any possible solution and found this forum. Please forgive my ignorance!
We woke up to no water a few days ago. Replaced the pressure switch and gauge on the pressure tank and all was well. Today, I remembered to double check to make sure of no leaks (my luck it would've sprung one). Anyway, I noticed the pressure tank was going on and off pressure building and immediately leaving. I'm at a loss. Any insight?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm searching the Internet for any possible solution and found this forum. Please forgive my ignorance!
We woke up to no water a few days ago. Replaced the pressure switch and gauge on the pressure tank and all was well. Today, I remembered to double check to make sure of no leaks (my luck it would've sprung one). Anyway, I noticed the pressure tank was going on and off pressure building and immediately leaving. I'm at a loss. Any insight?
Most probable is that your pressure tank has failed. But you want to try some stuff.

Step one is to turn off the pump. What is the water pressure? Then open a faucet and let the water pressure drop to zero. Measure the air pressure at the Schrader valve with a tire pressure gauge. It should be about 2 PSI lower than the pump cut-on pressure. If it is lower, add air to try to bring the pressure up. If the pressure holds up, the problem would appear to be not the pump. If the air pressure is higher than what the pump can do, that could cause a quick cycling. The most probable thing is that the air pressure was low, and when pumped up, it does not hold air.

If the tank will not hold air, replace the tank. If you cannot get a new pressure tank immediately, you can work around it temporarily by adding air even tho the pressure drops. Then turn on the pump. Add more air. The air will disappear with time, but you can gain some time by topping up the air regularly.

emmakesner

Reaction score
I certainly appreciate the quick reply! My landlord says it is not his responsibility...even if it is in the well, as the only ($100/hr) local plumber seems to think. He is coming tomorrow. The plumber, that is! He had me shut off the main water valve and see if it was still doing it...the answer is, yes. So he says it is draining back into the well, so it is a check valve (?), a boot(?), or the well pump itself...I'm praying for, as you mentioned, the pressure tank. We are broke, as my husband has been off work since February very sick. Hence, my posting here and scouring the innerwebs for any sign of hope! We've only lived here five months!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like it is leaking somewhere. It might be leaking back into the well . Maybe the foot valve is leaking.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It does sound like a foot valve or check valve leaking back. It depends on how deep the well is as to how much it will cost to replace a $40 check valve.

emmakesner

Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't a clue as to well depth. :( Nice to know part cost, though. That's a start! With my husband having been sick, money is way more than tight. Stressful? Ha. That doesn't begin to cover it. Especially when crying on the phone to the plumber. Lol.

Reach4

Reaction score
My landlord says it is not his responsibility...even if it is in the well, as the only ($100/hr) local plumber seems to think.
Your landlord is not responsible for providing the water system?

That air pressure measuring is easy DIY, although adding air requires a pump. You probably have a friend who can loan you a tire pressure gauge and maybe a pump. Pumping with a manual tire pump can tank takes exertion, and not everybody has a powered air pump. Try knocking on the pressure tank. Does the tank sound empty or full of water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks