Pressure tank loses pressure after sitting for extended periord

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Cudos, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Cudos

Cudos New Member

Hello, is it normal for a pressure tank to lose pressure if not used. We have a cabin and when we don't visit for 2 weeks then plug the pressure tank back in it turns on instantly to build pressure so it must be bleeding off somewhere in that 2 weeks.

Our water lines are all pex and I haven't seen any leaks anywhere. This doesn't happen if the tank has only been unplugged for a week, 2 weeks or more only. Can the tank itself be losing pressure somewhere.

Sorry I don't have the tank model handy.

Cheers
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There could be many reasons, one of them being the type of tank you have. But a system under pressure WILL leak through even a miniscule opening. IF you reactivate the system soon enough, then you might not notice the drop in pressure.
  3. Cudos

Cudos New Member

Thanks hj,

Is it possible that this is a normal effect of sitting for a couple weeks, be it tank design? and should I be concerned at all, providing I don't see any water leaking anywhere.

Thanks
  4. arfeller

arfeller New Member

I don't know very much about pressure tanks but after looking at a couple diagrams online it appears there is a pump that takes a water source and pressurizes it in an air over water tank. If this is what you have then you might have a VERY SMALL air leak on the top of the tank, maybe the pressure relief... or if there is a check valve between the tank and pump it might be leaking by back through the pump to lose pressure.

Is that possible?
  5. Cudos

Cudos New Member

Thank-You,

There is a check valve in place. I think what I will do is recheck for leaks, if none I won't sweat it providing it doesn't start kicking for no reason beyond what it is doing now.

Cheers