Pressure Tank Location on Irrigation Well

Users who are viewing this thread

fersure

Reaction score
I've got a 13 yr old lawn irrigation system which is eatin me up with the city water bills (further complicated by water rationing over the past two summers). I am having a well drilled to meet my irrigation needs (City regs limit the well use to irrigation).

My sprinkler system is designed so that a 1" PVC trunk line circles the house with the zones coming off that main line. All the valve wiring also runs in this main trench. The system controller box is on the west wall of my garage located on the west of the house and the trunk/trench runs parallel with and about 8' from that west wall of the garage.

The ideal configuration (minimizing wiring and piping runs) would be having the well about 15' west of that garage wall with the pressure tank located in the garage on that wall.

However: due to the location of existing city sewer/water & gas lines, I may have to have the well drilled to the east or the house.

So here's my question: If I have the well to the east and the pressure tank in the garage (on the west of the house), do I need a separate line run from the well head all the way to the garage location of the pressure tank (would involve a trench of about 100' including going under a double driveway and having to avoid sprinkler piping and city utility lines)? Or could I run fr the well to the 1' sprinkler trunk line on the east of the house and T-in there and then T-off the 1" trunk line at the garage to go to the pressure tank?

If this can be done, would there need to be 2 T-s in the trunk line there - one to feed the "inlet from the pump" end of the tank tee fitting kit and one to attach to the "outlet to water main" end of the tank tee?

Any design ideas would be appreciated.

R

Rancher

fersure said:
Or could I run fr the well to the 1' sprinkler trunk line on the east of the house and T-in there and then T-off the 1" trunk line at the garage to go to the pressure tank?
Yes you can do it this way.

fersure said:
If this can be done, would there need to be 2 T-s in the trunk line there - one to feed the "inlet from the pump" end of the tank tee fitting kit and one to attach to the "outlet to water main" end of the tank tee?
You only need one pipe to the tank, you really don't need a tank tee, but you need to put your pressure switch at the tank, so if you are using a submersible pump, you may have to trench for the electrical line anyway.

Rancher

fersure

Reaction score
P Tank Location etc

Thanks a bunch for the info...

1. I can run most of my electric fr tank to pump W/E thru atitc (then conduit down side of house and 20' trench east to well head and most of that trench would have to be dug anyway to get pipe fr wellhead to trunk line.

2. Central OK. Does freeze but not very deep. Anyway, I've been draining/winterizing my sprinkler system and draining the PT would only add a few more gal to that process. The trunk run varies fr 10 - 18" deep in places where I've checked. I prob would not have to winterize if it wasn't for the backflow valve (which stands about 18" above ground beside the garage.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your draining the tank etc. you could put the tank right near the well up against the house. You have to run wires to the well, so the pressure switch will be close by.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks