Pressure tank location on 2nd floor with pump on first floor

Users who are viewing this thread

pjs

Reaction score
Just redoing things after some NE Penna flooding... Had to buy a new convertible deep well jet pump and a pressure tank. To avoid having a flood ruin this stuff again and cost me money, was wondering if I could locate some of my well components higher, like on the 2nd floor. This is a cheezy diagram, but hope gets the point across. My well pipes (3 of them) in/out/air enter my house in the basement. My current setup (that got ruined in flood) had the pump and tank on first floor, about 4 feet run from where well lines come into basement wall. Can I move the pressure tank to the 2nd floor, and leave pump on first floor? Worried about back pressure on pump parts when pump stops. Can I move pump and tank to 2nd floor?

2ndfloor.gif

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If your pump has two pipes going to the well (both of them water lines) then you should be able to move the pump up a floor. Although that will increase the lift on the pump. It is always better for a pump to push water than try to draw water up.

pjs

Reaction score
Valveman, thanks for quick reply.
Do you think I can optionally just move the tank to the 2nd floor (like my diagram)? The reason I ask is it would be pretty easy and quick to do that now (so i can some water to clean out the flood mud). Pump relocation is my goal, but might be a 'phase 2'.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
As Valve man said
Pressure switch has to stay with tank. Both can be above the pump.
When going to phase #2, Consider installing a submersable pump at the source and installing a Pside-Kick on the second floor. This way if it floods agai it won't destroy your pump! Plus the Pside-Kick will give you constant pressure when taking a shower and prevent your pump from cycling when filling the tub or filling the washing machine.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion to go submersible and CSV. Moving the pump should take priority over moving the tank. Short of the tank floating and breaking away from the piping, if well secured it should not be damaged by flood. The pump of course, is another matter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks