pressure tank collapse

Users who are viewing this thread

Th2511

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea what would cause a pressure tank to collapse like a crushed can? The well was pumping fine and then stopped, i went to check and the pressure tank looks like a large hand crushed it. I am in Texas and havent had a lot of water this year, but the water was running cool and clean til this happened.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have seen that before. Pressure tanks can take a lot of pressure but, not much vacuum. Usually the check valve in the well is bad, big hole in the drop pipe, or the pump falls off the pipe. The water going back down pulls a vacuum on the tank unless some air can get in from a tap or a leak. Also can happen if you pump water down hill, and you have a break in that line.

Attachments

• Tank5.JPG
    Tank5.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,181

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yup, me too. Sure makes it hard to get the same amount of water back in.

I often wondered if pressuring it up again would remove most of the creases. Just haven't had the guts to try it.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have popped out a few dents while pressuring up a tank, sure makes you pucker up. I would be afraid the tank would fail at the crease. Then it could be dangerous like this one that blew up a concrete block well house.

Attachments

• Block House.JPG
    Block House.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 846

Speedbump

Reaction score
I guess I can be glad I didn't try it.

I don't have pictures, but back in about 1962 I was called out to a little old lady's house who had no water. I went down in the basement and there was an old piston pump who's pressure switch stuck in the on position. The old pump just kept on pumping until it blew the bottom of her 42 gallon galvanized tank out. The tank then launched vertically into two of her floor joists breaking boards on the kitchen floor, knocked her counter up a notch or two and broke numerous plates, dishes and glasses in her cupboards.

If I remember corectly, she then allowed me to install a new 1/2hp jet pump.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks