pressure tank collapse

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Th2511, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Th2511

Th2511 New Member

Can anyone give me an idea what would cause a pressure tank to collapse like a crushed can? The well was pumping fine and then stopped, i went to check and the pressure tank looks like a large hand crushed it. I am in Texas and havent had a lot of water this year, but the water was running cool and clean til this happened.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I have seen that before. Pressure tanks can take a lot of pressure but, not much vacuum. Usually the check valve in the well is bad, big hole in the drop pipe, or the pump falls off the pipe. The water going back down pulls a vacuum on the tank unless some air can get in from a tap or a leak. Also can happen if you pump water down hill, and you have a break in that line.

Attached Files:

3. Th2511

Th2511 New Member

Thanks. That looks like a picture of the tank.
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Yup, me too. Sure makes it hard to get the same amount of water back in.

I often wondered if pressuring it up again would remove most of the creases. Just haven't had the guts to try it.

bob...
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I have popped out a few dents while pressuring up a tank, sure makes you pucker up. I would be afraid the tank would fail at the crease. Then it could be dangerous like this one that blew up a concrete block well house.

Attached Files:

6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I guess I can be glad I didn't try it.

I don't have pictures, but back in about 1962 I was called out to a little old lady's house who had no water. I went down in the basement and there was an old piston pump who's pressure switch stuck in the on position. The old pump just kept on pumping until it blew the bottom of her 42 gallon galvanized tank out. The tank then launched vertically into two of her floor joists breaking boards on the kitchen floor, knocked her counter up a notch or two and broke numerous plates, dishes and glasses in her cupboards.

If I remember corectly, she then allowed me to install a new 1/2hp jet pump.

bob...