Pressure tank and Booster pump configuration????

Users who are viewing this thread

g.s. meiningen

Reaction score
I had previous posted questions regarding my need for a storage tank after my well could not supply my house, ( Scrutinize My Plan, Will Listen) Thanks for all the responses. Currently I am back pumping through a garden valve at the side of the house with a real small centrifugal pump from a 1000 gallon water tender, it is working okay. I have not went out for the booster pump and I am in need of a suitable one to get the job done. Harbor Freight is not my choice of places to shop as I have long term needs and prefer American Made and quality in mind. This will be a typical household need. I had mentioned in the aforementioned thread about a Goulds GT-10 or a J10-S as I was researching them somewhat. Valveman suggested not to utilize the GT-10, I guess it did not have the ability to pressure up the system and by looking at the PDF's it does look like the J10-S would be the one. Any other suggestions will be considered, (brands, pressure, GPM, simplicity or price) Also I am considering whether to go with a conventional galvanized tank. Quiestion??? Is it the booster pump that aerates the water that creates the air inside this type of system for pressure. My existing well has this type of tank and it has been trouble free for 34 years. The local supplier sells them for $477.00 and the ARV is $22.00. The Well-X-Trol WX350 pressure charged tank was right at $900.00 Surely the suggestion of the Pside-Kick and CSV looks appealing, I am really just trying to stay simple like I have always had. In short of changing to a bladder tank or the Pside-Kick which would be a new curve to me. Get me up to speed as to this booster pump working with a galvanized tank and also the particulars as mentioned above about any certain booster pump.. Thanks to all.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air volume controls needed for old style galvanized tanks work much better with well pumps than with booster pumps. You will have a hard time maintaining the correct amount of air in a galve tank. I would never use an old galv type tank unless I had sulfur or something else in the water that needed aerated.

You would not be able to have this conversation if you were still using and old style typewriter. Sometimes a “new curve” can be a good thing.

g.s. meiningen

Reaction score
Thanks valveman, I will then begin to set myself up for using the Pside-Kick and utilize the booster pump. As I found out the other day while looking into booster pumps. The Goulds J10-S is now rated at 1.5 hp, is this overkill for being 10' from the house as for delivery and pressure. Would the J5-S or perhaps the J7-S be a more economical choice being the motor is rated a less than the 1.5 hp of the J10-S. Just thinking about the current draw and the amount of run time I will be utilizing. Would you have another pump brand and model in mind, I have only two occupants in the household, have desertscape/dry creekbed and have no outside needs other than an occasional twist on a garden valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
IMO , using a Pside-kick or other CSV will take more power than a bladder system because the pump will run longer overriding any small current drops. Further, and independent of that choice, a jet pump will take more power than a multi-stage centrifugal pump. You could use a 1/2 HP 5 to 8 stage maybe 20 GPM or so submersible rather than a 1 HP jet pump. Typically the amount of power that a water pump for domestic use tanks is not all that significant. But if you are using expensive electricity such as solar or generator, then it can be significant. I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Without long term irrigation or a heat pump energy use won’t make much difference. It has been documented that the longer run times caused by a CSV, which is good for the pump, will only increase the electric bill by 5 cents per day. You would never save enough energy to pay for a larger tank. And the CSV will make the pump/motor last longer, so a nickel a day is a small price to pay.

A 20 GPM, ½ HP pump, if you can find one, will not build enough pressure to do what you want.
The CSV lets you put in as large a pump as you think you need, and still use it like a small pump without hurting anything or increasing the electric bill.

Start out with a pump that is too small and you will always be wanting more. Start out with a pump that is too large, and the CSV will trim it to do anything you want.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks