pressure switch sticks

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by pumped up, Jul 15, 2005.

1. pumped up

pumped up New Member

Pump runs and empties tank, bringing it down to zero pressure and water and pump stop. Pressure switch does not automatically click on to restart pump. However, when pressure switch outer case is tapped lightly a couple of times something seems to be jarred loose and switch trips and everything works fine for awhile. Happens every other day or so, getting tired of jumping out of the shower and crawling under the house. Any idea what might cause this intermittent problem and how to fix it?
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

From what you said, I'de say it's time for a new pressure switch. Or if your in bug country, you may have ant's, roaches, frogs, lizards etc. in the switch keeping the points from making up. The tapping will sometimes get them together again

bob...
  3. pumped up

pumped up New Member

Thanks for reply. Should have mentioned: pump, switch and tank only 2 months old. Installed in crawl space, bugs might be problem, I'll check under cover. Any other ideas?
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Nothing comes to mind, being it's brand new.

bob...
  5. Hube

Hube New Member

Are you sure the small tube/pipe that leads to the switch is clear of any crud/debris?
    This can effect the pump's contact points from opening/closing.
  6. pumped up

pumped up New Member

If small pipe to switch does have crud in it, how do I clean it out? Cut out electric to pump, disconnect, clean, reconnect and turn electric back on? Or do I have to open tap and reduce pressure in tank also?
  7. Hube

Hube New Member

PROCEDURE:
    Shut power off to pump, drain tank, remove switch, clean pipe/tube.
    Also check the switch's contact points for smoothness (lightly use emery cloth to smooth).