Pressure switch differential, CSV and large bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

DRogers

Reaction score
I will be installing a CSV at our well, the bladder tank has a 25 gallon draw down, 1 Hp pump. I know that pressure switches seem to always have a 20# difference between on and off. Is that much necessary in this situation?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you don't use the 20 PSI differential you won't have 25 gallons of drawdown in that tank. With a 50/60 pressure switch the tank would only deliver 12 gallons of water. So there is no problem keeping the switch at 40/60. You just need to set the CSV at about 58 PSI so it doesn't tank too long to fill the pressure tank. That way the CSV will not do anything until the tank has refilled to 58 PSI, then the CSV will keep the pressure constant at 58 PSI for as long as you are using water. Then when you shut off the faucets it will only take about 2 minutes for the CSV to fill the tank from 58 to 60 PSI so the switch can shut the pump off.

I have plenty of those digital pressure switches for 30 bucks if you want one. But digital pressure switches suck, which is why mine are discontinued. They have re-engineered those Guardian ones about 3-4 times already, so maybe they are a bit better, but they will never be as dependable, long lasting, and inexpensive as the regular 40/60 mechanical switches.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have plenty of those digital pressure switches for 30 bucks if you want one. But digital pressure switches suck, which is why mine are discontinued.
I might be tempted to put a mechanical pressure switch (set wide with the cut-on less than the precharge) in series with a digital switch as a safety measure. That might be an alternative to a relief valve.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I might be tempted to put a mechanical pressure switch (set wide with the cut-on less than the precharge) in series with a digital switch as a safety measure. That might be an alternative to a relief valve.

Then it would be running on the mechanical pressure switch in short order. But not turning off the pump is only one of the digital pressure switch problems. They also fail to turn the pump on sometimes, or they just change the pressure they work at all on there own, or the pressure transducer just starts leaking. Either way a mechanical pressure switch is still the best way to go.

akcooper9

Reaction score
I have an 80 gallon pressure tank with a CSV. I left the 20 PSI gap on the pressure switch. I have ZERO issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
Then it would be running on the mechanical pressure switch in short order.
Is that purely a comment on the reliability of digital pressure switches? I was thinking that if the digital switch was set to 45/55, the mechanical switch might be set to 25/65.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is that purely a comment on the reliability of digital pressure switches? I was thinking that if the digital switch was set to 45/55, the mechanical switch might be set to 25/65.

Yes! They are not reliable. Or at least I have not been able to find one or make one that is. Like akcooper said, nothing wrong with a large tank with a CSV as long as you have is set where it doesn't take too long to fill the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks