Pressure regulators die on a regular basis.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Homeownerinburb, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

Guys,

My municipal water pressure comes at me at 150psi, how they keep the pipes under the streets whole, I don't know. But I assume the Fire Captain is happy.

I've been in this house 12 years and I have replaced many pressure regulators. Some years back I rebuilt all the manifold coming at the house with two ball valves and behind those are two 3/4" Wilkins pressure regulators that I can just drop out by backing off the two unions.

One protects the house, the other protects all the sprinklers, I have a lot of sprinkler valves. One split in half the other day and was weeping. I put the pressure gauge on and the pressure was at 150 lbs, of course.

So off to the store for a new regulator. The damned things cost more than $70.

Is it practical to rebuild them? Where do I find the kits for CHEAP?

And I suppose there is nothing I can do about them croaking under the 150 lbs from the city, can I?
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Prv

Wilkins is NOT my first recommendation for a PRV. I prefer Honeywell/Braukman. They last longer and are much easier to repair.