Pressure Reducing Valve: Bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Reading up on household water pressure, it seems the 90-95 showing on my PRV is too high.

I'm assuming the pressure shown as actually post-reduction, and not the street pressure, but I can't find any reference to this Wilkins Model 70 value that also shows the attached gauge, so I'm not positive.

This was new about 5-8 years ago.

Does this value need to be replaced, or should I try adjusting the valve via the screw, or is the pressure displayed actually the pressure BEFORE reduction?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• PRV.jpg
    PRV.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 406

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would try adjusting it first. You can also pick up a gauge at a hardware store that works with your outside hosebib to check pressure too.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah that gauge should be reading donwstream or house pressure. Looks like the bolt is tightened down a bunch. Try loosening off on the adjustment bolt.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
I ordered and received the repair kit. With that in hand, I did get a second gauge and connected it to an outside hose bib to double check the pressure. They matched (within 3-4 PSI). I adjusted the knob out about 1/2 inch, ran some water, turned off the water, and noted no change in pressure.

Next step - do the repair kit. I think I'll wait to tomorrow for that.

I appreciate the advice!

John

JohnnyO

Reaction score
PRV repair completed! [It took one borrowed big wrench for the bell housing and one purchased 1 1/8" socket for the cartridge removal, but other than that, it went smoothly.] Thanks for the guidance!

Best of all - 6 hours after the repair, and no leaks!

John

Attachments

• PRV-fixed.jpg
    PRV-fixed.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 320
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks