Pressure Reducing Valve: Bad?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by JohnnyO, Apr 7, 2013.

1. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

Reading up on household water pressure, it seems the 90-95 showing on my PRV is too high.

I'm assuming the pressure shown as actually post-reduction, and not the street pressure, but I can't find any reference to this Wilkins Model 70 value that also shows the attached gauge, so I'm not positive.

This was new about 5-8 years ago.

Does this value need to be replaced, or should I try adjusting the valve via the screw, or is the pressure displayed actually the pressure BEFORE reduction?

Thanks,

John

Attached Files:

• PRV.jpg
      PRV.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[video=youtube;KOpORLuw8eA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpORLuw8eA[/video]
  3. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

Thanks for the link, Terry. That repair process looks very straightforward.

John
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would try adjusting it first. You can also pick up a gauge at a hardware store that works with your outside hosebib to check pressure too.
  5. fixitright

fixitright New Member

What a nice tutorial.

Wouldn't it be nice if more companies did this with their products?
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that gauge should be reading donwstream or house pressure. Looks like the bolt is tightened down a bunch. Try loosening off on the adjustment bolt.
  7. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

I will try backing off on the bolt to see if it brings the pressure down.

Thanks.
  8. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

I ordered and received the repair kit. With that in hand, I did get a second gauge and connected it to an outside hose bib to double check the pressure. They matched (within 3-4 PSI). I adjusted the knob out about 1/2 inch, ran some water, turned off the water, and noted no change in pressure.

Next step - do the repair kit. I think I'll wait to tomorrow for that.

I appreciate the advice!

John
  9. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

PRV repair completed! [It took one borrowed big wrench for the bell housing and one purchased 1 1/8" socket for the cartridge removal, but other than that, it went smoothly.] Thanks for the guidance!

Best of all - 6 hours after the repair, and no leaks!

John

Attached Files: