Pressure reducer problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Anon125

Reaction score
we bought 2 water pressure gauges and they always say around 70psi.
so we wanted to turn it down (new water heater does not like 70)
so i adjusted the bolt on the top.
it adjusted the water flow to a trickle
but the water pressure is still 70ish.
does this make sense to you experts?
Watts think the water at the bottom is condensation- but i wonder...
thanks all

Attachments

• wp1.jpg
    wp1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 261
  • wp2.jpg
    wp2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 324

Reach4

Reaction score
so we wanted to turn it down (new water heater does not like 70)
Why do you say the water heater does not like 70?

If you see that the T+P has emitted water, it is probable that the pressure actually rose to well over 100 PSI after hot water use. That would indicate a problem with your thermal expansion tank, if you have one. Those should normally be empty. Knock on it to see if it sounds empty. If you don't have one, you need one.

Once the water heater caught up and you had used a bit of water, the pressure gauge would have dropped back down to 70. So if you want to watch for the pressure rise, watch just after finishing a hot shower and you don't use any water.

Regarding leak vs condensation, if you dried the PRV well, and then, as a test, wrapped it in Saran Wrap, condensation would occur outside the wrap and leak would appear inside the wrap.

Last edited:

Anon125

Reaction score
rheems say max 70psi for the WH
great idea with the saran wrap.
back to the main question, when we adjust the water pressure regulator the water psi stay the same but the water flow in the taps is reduced.
does this make sense?
will the thermal expansion tank affect the COLD water pressure?
thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
rheems say max 70psi for the WH
That is unexpected. What model is that?

back to the main question, when we adjust the water pressure regulator the water psi stay the same but the water flow in the taps is reduced.
When adjusting the PRV, trickle water from a tap. If the water pressure rises right up to 70 after you turn off the trickle, the PRV is bad. There are repair kits if these are off-warranty. http://www.watts.com/pages/repairKits_results.asp?pid=776&catId=64

Anon125

Reaction score
BTW the forum is set to let me know when someone responds but my email box is empty

maybe it is daily instead of instant

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
what are these things on top of the tank?
2 water hammer arrestors and a vacuum relief valve. The relief valve is important if the water heater is on an upper story, and it may be required in some places where it would not seem to be needed.

Water hammer arrestors are normally located near fast-acting valves to avoid water hammer. Somebody may have used those to try to get around putting in a thermal expansion tank. They are not up to that job.

Anon125

Reaction score
When adjusting the PRV, trickle water from a tap. If the water pressure rises right up to 70 after you turn off the trickle.
not tried it yet but we have not seen psi below 70.
thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears you have little understanding of pressure vs flow. Suggest you research this. If you have a PRV, then you need and expansion tank. It's not so much a matter of code, it's a matter of how things work. Also, 70 psi is within the high limit, but it is quite a bit more than is necessary. 50 psi is plenty of pressure.

Anon125

Reaction score
It appears you have little understanding of pressure vs flow. Suggest you research this. If you have a PRV, then you need and expansion tank. It's not so much a matter of code, it's a matter of how things work. Also, 70 psi is within the high limit, but it is quite a bit more than is necessary. 50 psi is plenty of pressure.
we had no expansion tank with the previous water tank - but then we had no reason to check the water pressure.
i have researched it thanks - before i wrote. but there is something odd here not covered by the research i did.
thanks

Reach4

Reaction score

Anon125

Reaction score
thanks
don't want to pay a plumber to install the tank until we know that is the problem.
any idea why the model numbers on the sheet you sent do not include our one?
sure looks like the correct one - maybe canadian!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks