Pressure loss problem at my kitchen sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary D

Reaction score
My garage is down hill from my house. I just ran water to my garage from my basement in my house. Now when I turn on the water in my garage I have no pressure at my kitchen sink. If I run water at my garage and then later run my kitchen sink a bunch of air comes out first. My house is on a well I have 1" coming from the well and just before the water softener it reduces to 3/4 comes out of the water softener at 3/4 and splits and supplies the house at 3/4 then the garage with 3/4. Is there a way I can stop this from happening? Thank you in advance for your help

Reach4

Reaction score
How far down the hill is your garage? (elevation change)

Did you make the connection to the garage before your well pressure tank? I am suspecting there is a check valve between where you tapped in and the pressure tank and switch.

Tell us about your well. Is the pump down the well, or is it up where you can see it? If the pump is up where you can see it, how many pipes go between the pump and the well?

Gary D

Reaction score
How far down the hill is your garage? (elevation change)

Did you make the connection to the garage before your well pressure tank? I am suspecting there is a check valve between where you tapped in and the pressure tank and switch.

Tell us about your well. Is the pump down the well, or is it up where you can see it? If the pump is up where you can see it, how many pipes go between the pump and the well?

My bladder tank is before the water softener.

The garage floor is about 2 or 3 feet lower than the basement floor but about 150 feet away.

Pump is in the well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
2-3' will only result in a bit over 1psi pressure difference as a result of that elevation change (0.43psi/foot). If you have a check valve that is not working properly you could be sucking air into the system as water falls back towards the well.

Gary D

Reaction score
Yes the garage rec's softened water. We needed softened because of the processing we are doing in the garage!

Gary D

Reaction score
2-3' will only result in a bit over 1psi pressure difference as a result of that elevation change (0.43psi/foot). If you have a check valve that is not working properly you could be sucking air into the system as water falls back towards the well.
We have had no other problems until we connected to the garage Wednesday.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have an interesting situation. I had been wondering if your garage was at a much lower altitude and the air was entering through a vacuum relief valve. Where does air come from? Some treatment equipment injects air, but you don't have that. A softener can admit air during regen if the air check valve leaks. The thinking was that possibly the garage use let the air migrate up. If you have a check valve up top, that could let a flaw, between that extra check valve and the pump, add air. I would disable that topside check valve if you have one.

Any chance that the garage use is big enough that the well runs dry? That could lose pressure and it could add air. That is my best theory at this point, but maybe you have a well that will not run dry.

To troubleshoot, I would get one or more pressure gauges. You can get a gauge with a garden hose thread for under $20. That can attach to various places including the laundry connections and the water heater drain.

When you figure out the mystery, let us know what it turned out to be.

Gary D

Reaction score
The kitchen sink starts working fine as soon as the water is shut off in the garage!

Let me also mention that there is a Hardy stove furnace and we hook the garage to the cold side at the Hardy to supply the garage. So I think what's happening is the kitchen sink can't get hot water because the cold water comes to the Hardy and then goes back hot into the water heater. So if we're running water at the garage then since it's 3/4 everywhere the kitchen sink can't get hot water. I'm going to see if it affects the cold water side of the kitchen or if it's just the hot water side. I'm going back up there Tuesday and I'll let you know something after that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks