Pressure in upper floor

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by miz013, Oct 14, 2013.

1. miz013

miz013 New Member

We bought a house recently and noticed that the pressure in the upper floor is somehow weaker than on the 1st floor. I have installed the same type of hand sprayer in the toilet on the 1st floor and on the 2nd floor and somehow the pressure into that sprayer on the 1st floor is much stronger. I have a pressure regular connected into the mainline, would it help if I increase the pressure?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I doubt that there is much difference in pressure based on height. A little.
    It's more likely the pipe supplying the fixture, or the sprayer itself.
    Some older homes with galvanized will have size reduction do the corrosion. Especially at the shutoff valves where the brass meets the galvanized.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

0.42# per foot, all things being equal. At the most, probably 10', or less than 5# difference. Volume, based on the pipe sizes or corrosion as Terry said, is more likely the issue. There can be a big difference in showerheads, too, so if they aren't identical, you wouldn't expect identical results. As a quick experiment, you could try swapping the heads and see if you still notice a difference.