Pressure Assist First Flush of the Day

Users who are viewing this thread

telero

Reaction score
We've got a couple toilets here where I work that have Flushmate 501-A pressure assists in them, and the first flush in the morning is always incomplete. It kind of starts to flush, then just runs for a while. Sometimes you seem to have to hold the handle a bit and it seems like it's letting the water out and filling at the same time, and at some point it will eventually finish refilling and will then flush normally. This is after sitting overnight without use for about 12 hours. Our maintenance plumber has said "that's they way it works, that's the way it is." I don't think he's a plumber by trade, and they don't want to bring in a real plumber to diagnose it since we can get it to work, but it is kind of annoying. Any ideas to whether this is just the way it is, or if there is something that can be done to troubleshoot it? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Flushmate requires a "bubble of air" to create the flushing pressure. Your toilets must be leaking that bubble out overnight so it only has the static line pressure to flush it. After that, it aspirates air into the tank to recharge the bubble and it will then work until it happens again the next day.

flushmate4_cutaway2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

telero

Reaction score
Is there any adjustment that can be made to stop this from leaking overnight? Or any parts that might need to be replaced? Or is it really just the nature of the beast?

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First off, the symptoms you describe are not normal. I have a flushmate, since 1992. It flushes the same at midnight, 3 am, noon....no matter! Good flush every time. The 501 is an older model, and if you have never replaced the cartridge and the supply group...it's time! I have replaced the supply group once, and the cartridge about 3 times in 19 years. A few bucks, easy repair, you're back in business. The tank itself can fail internally, but that is not common.

telero

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the troubleshooting guide (as well as cartridge/supply replacement guides) Terry. And thanks for the suggestion to replace the various parts jimbo. I'll pass this information on to our maintenance guys so as to not step on any toes.

Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Terry is spot-on. Review the troubleshooting video from our website. Check the cartridge for an air leak, make ure the air inducer is drawing air, and time the refill. If it is over one minute there may be a restriction in the supply. Call us with your serial number information if you are unable to resolve this issue. 800-533-3450 Sloan Flushmate

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
The upper supply may be the issue but it may also be a symptom. Have you made sure there's no leak in the body of the Flushmate?

The current upper supply incorporates a vertical duckbill valve in the air inducer whereas the original has a horizontal poppet valve. A new upper supply will be compatible with the old Flushmate. Be very careful removing the original; below the upper supply there is a locknut that hods an internal muffler tube in place. If you inadvertently loosen or remove the locknut, the tube will come loose and drop into the vessel. Unless you have extremely small hands and wrists, it will be impossible to retrieve and reattach.

You could replace the upper supply with a current production BU100505-K, you could replace both the upper and lower supplies with the RK100100, or you could replace the entire Flushmate system with an M-101526-F (two piece Ultra Flush) or M-102540-F (one piece "Maurice").

Considering the air inducer may be only a symptom and your original Flushmate was made in 1995 and had a two year warranty, your best course of action is to replace the entire Flushmate. Your new one would have a ten (10) year warranty on components and a lifetime warranty on the pressure-tank.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

telero

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo and Scott for the latest information (and everyone else for chiming in). I've passed all this information to our maintenance department, so hopefully it will get taken care of soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks