pressure and flow problem

Users who are viewing this thread

frank_frc

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old system with the original components (submerged pump, well-x-trol wx-202 tank). My problem is that my pressure and flow has been getting worse over the last couple of years. In the last week it has gotten really bad. The pump turns on and fills the tank to 52 psi, it then drains down to 24 psi before restarting. The 1st gallon drains in 42 seconds, 2nd in 52 seconds, 3rd in 57 seconds, 4th in 65 seconds and the last 1/2 gallon took 34 seconds. This means it took 4 minutes 25 seconds to drain 4 1/2 gallons. The plumbing in the house all copper and has no changes, all faucets are affected. Is my problem the pump, tank or pressure switch? We can hardly take a shower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The important timing is how long to FILL the tank to 52 psi from start at 24 or so. Measure that with no faucets open. If it fills "fast" the pump is ok, and then look for a bad filter somewhere in the system or a broken bladder or diaphragm in your pressure tank that is restricting outflow. Pretty much a certainty that your tank is shot.

I would set the pressure to 40-60 after you [probably] change the tank.

frank_frc

Reaction score
The tank is filling in the same amount of time that it has always has. I just cleaned all the screens on the faucets, a little better but not good. If my pressure has been good for 30 years I don't want to change pressure settings.

Thanks

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Is there a hose-bib or a valve that is close to the tank you can take apart? Maybe a union at the well itself?

My bet is that your pipes are almost completely stopped up with minerals. Iron would be my first thought.
You would need to take a faucet out or brake a union somewhere in the system to check this.

Might be worth a look.

Travis

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Alright, 24/52 psi works okay.... You dont give a refill time. If its 30 or 60 seconds, then yes your pipes may have arterial sclerosis or [most likely] your bladder tank has rubber parts blocking the exit of water. Time for a new tank anyway, so start with that.

I see you have copper pipes. therefore plugged pipes are less likely. I think your tank is shot. Read the 'stickies' at the beginning of this forum

Pressure tanks DO NOT last 30 years unless they are plain, galvanized. Light a candle at the altar if you get 10 years from a tank.

[people THINK they have a tank that lasted 20 years, but it was bad for the previous 5 before they checked it]

Last edited:

frank_frc

Reaction score
I will drain the pressure tank and check to see if it still holds a precharge. That 30 year old tank was probably built in this country by American workers, that's why it's 30 years old. The new tanks are probably built in China, that's why they don't last. It's not that I am cheap, but I need to know what the real problem is. I could replace the pump and tank and still not fix the problem.

Thanks for your help

Ballvalve

Reaction score
The name brand tanks are still made here or in canada. They can last a long time if you check them annually even in these days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks