Pressure and Cycle time

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Mark Corn, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mark Corn

Mark Corn New Member

Hello,

Our well water pressure, on occasion, goes to zero. I go into the crawl space and rap on the switch above the pressure indicater and it eventually comes back on. My first thought is the switch is bad, opinion? Also, I had a guy come out a few months ago because the pressure was low. Pressure is fine now but when you run the water, the pump sounds like it cycles on and off every 10 to 15 seconds...is that normal? From what I have read here on this forum it seems like it is not.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Before you start tapping on the pressure switch, open it and see if the points are closed. If they are not, then the nipple going to the switch is probably clogged. Could also be a bad switch. Cycling every 10-15 seconds is not a good thing. A pump needs to run for a minute and be off for a minute at a minimum. Either your tank is too small to use without a CSV or the tank is low on air and probably bad.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

By your description it sounds like the 1/4 inch nipple below the pressure switch or the pressure switch it's self is partially or completely plugged. That's most likely the reason for having to tap the pressure switch. The reason for the cycling sounds like the bladder is ruptured in the tank. You may want to consider replacing it with a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html . The Pside-Kick uses a small tank, prevents cycling and gives you constant pressure.
  4. Mark Corn

Mark Corn New Member

Thanks

Had "the man" come out....pressure switch was bad and clogged. Also, the pressure in the tank was set incorrectly. Works like a charm now...$170 later.....
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Not a bad price but being as frugal as I am, I'm glad to be a DIY'er. Good that you got it sorted.