Presoldered copper pipe...good or bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

lojoma

Reaction score
Recently I saw at home depot copper pipe fittings with a little recess just inside the fitting opening...solder was in this recess. The idea was to just heat up the joint and the solder would melt connecting the joint pieces without having to use a roll of solder.

These connections were on sale and I just wondered if anyone had used them. I have sweated copper once before and it wasn't especially hard to do but this looked like it would make it more goof-proof.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This topic has been discussed several times here, and it seems that most of us feel these presoldered fittings are generally not worthwhile. Sometimes when a joint is in a very difficult position to reach, there may be justification in using one, but for the vast majority of joints, the regular old way is preferred.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found that it helps to use tinning flux such as Oatey No. 95. I haven't had a bad joint when it is applied to both well-cleaned, shiny, parts (pipe and fitting) of a joint.

Prashster

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but try to search out answers to yr question b4 posting. This question gets asked weekly, along with:

"my toilet flange is too high (low). What to do?"

;)

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
John,

Welcome to the site - if you are like me, you'll find yourself coming here several times a day just to learn from the others on this site. Very interesting and helpful stuff, and supportive listers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

There is a reason why they are on sale, few people are buying them. A customer bought some for a job I was doing for him. One possible problem is that the fittings are very tight and it take a bit more time to push/slide/pound them onto the tubing.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
I had only seen these presoldered fittings about 3 months ago so I bought what I needed for the tub shower valve replacement and they worked great. When I went back to buy more for the basement shower valve they were all on sale and no longer going to be restocking them. I can only guess they had complaints or they did not move quick enough at HD. I bought what I needed at *******.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When I first saw them 2-3 years ago I commented to the HD sales guy that they would be putting them on sale to get did of them within the next 3 years.

I bought a couple of discounted bags the other day.

I think WATTS was the Mfg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks