Preferred vinyl tile brands/methods

Users who are viewing this thread

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I need to put something real nice on my bathroom floor. Second story master bath, proposed tiled area about 55 by 76 inches ( I guess that is small compared to some baths).

Underneath is 3/4" (Or 5/8"?) subfloor, I layed down a 1/4" inch underlayment today. I used sheets of multi-ply plywood (see website) and fastened the underlayment with 7/8" chisel point, coated, narrow-crown staples. Eveything was layed out and installed per the directions from the multiply plywood website, and the floor is real smooth and ready for tile.

Here is my major concern...the bathroom is right over several airducts and the oilburner is right below the bathroom. I didn't insulate the floor under the bath and the floor will see some excess heat.
I have heard the peel and stick vinyl tiles don't last too long, and whatever the last owner put on the floor, it shifted around a little bit.
I don't care what it costs, I want to know who makes the best vinyl tile, and what is the best method of gluing it down. Thanks in advance:)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I never use 12X12 in a batrhroom. Moisture can get between the joints.

In a small room like this, sheet vinyl is a doable DIY project. Avoid the 6X9 remnants at the home store. Get a top of the line like Solarian. Get the type that does not require complete glue down, only around the edges. Get the 6" width. 2 yards should be under $100

Be sure to go over EVERY staple with a 4' broad knife. If you feel or hear any 'click' then it is not set deep enough. Then you must spackle over each staple and all joints with something like QwikFix.

Have you considered ceramic tile?

BennyBaby

Reaction score
The website advice at multiply plywood.com said I would not need to fill in the holes if I used narrow-crown coated staples on their underlayment. I would have to agree, the marks left behind are almost invisible, I set my staple gun up nicely, all heads are just a hair under the surface, I ran a metal straight edge along the floor and nothing is up, and I didn't leave any tool marks or fractured wood. Multiply recommends patching if nails or screws are used. If I had to spackle all those staple heads, I would probably make more ripples and bumps than I have otherwise.

I have been researching also, I agree strongly about the advice to use a vinyl
sheet, I will check out solarian.
How will hot floor affect a vinyl sheet?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
bennybaby said:
How will hot floor affect a vinyl sheet?

One way to remove old vinyl flooring is to use a heat gun (or a torch), so a lot of heat can't be good.

I'd try to measure the heat at the floor level first and then call the manufacturer of both the adhesive and the flooring to find out what the long-term effects of that amount of heat would be.

BTW, the main advantage of vinyl floor tile is that if one or two get messed up, you only have to replace one or two. With sheet vinyl, you have to re-do the whole thing if and when part of it gets messed up.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The heat from airducts is not hot enough to hurt your floor, and you will appreciate any warmth you get. If there is a layer of sheet rock over it, you will not even notice it. If you are concerned, then a layer of anything between duct and floor will make you more secure.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mike50 said:
I'm unclear about why you don't want ceramic tile. (?)
You mean besides cold bare feet, added thickness, probably inadequate stiffness of the underlying floor, and the fact that it's a bigger DIY job for someone who doesn't have tools and experience.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking. It's a geographic thing as well. I'm in the desert where we prefer cool floors most of the year.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
OK update time..I am happy as a bug on a blade of grass!
I was getting fed up running from store to store, trying to find a nice style floor in the highest quality vinyls. I was near my wits end, and went to a pro shop, a shop that does this for a living (unlike lowes or HD). He had a nice roll of Congoleum "Exclusive" brand vinyl. It was basically plain 6x6 block white tile with a very slight marble-effect. I liked it cause it was high-quality, available immediately, and 90 bucks for a 6x 6 foot piece.
I got it home, cut and fit it, and did a full glue down in my bath. IT LOOKS GREAT! I am so happy I went with a basic simple pattern, and a good quality material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks