Precast shower pans

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by David Meiland, Feb 20, 2007.

1. David Meiland

David Meiland General Contractor

Apr 29, 2006
    General Contractor
    Friday Harbor, Washington
    I have a client that is interested in a precast shower pan. She saw something on the east coast while traveling there but was not able to name it. I have used Florestone terrazzo shower pans a few times but they are not readily available here in the northwest--they are made in CA and the shipping up here is significant. So I'm curious, what other similar products are out there that might be considered? I am aware of the acrylic/FG stuff, the cast iron pans from Kohler, etc., and that's about it.

Yes I will talk to the folks at the big plumbing wholesalers, but wondered what ya'll here might be aware of.

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Pans are available made of Corian, Swanstone, and Silestone. You can probably see these online and get the name of a local distibutor.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

Feb 6, 2005
    Sensitivity be caring and loving to a
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    pre cast terrazo pans...

They used to be availabel but are a pain in the
    butt ...... I wont touch one....

very heavy,,,,, and can chip and crack
    during shipment.....

and their life span is 30 --40 years....

I just took a terrazo shower base out of my 1965 home....

cracked and leaking

I did not want to... I had to...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

The true terrrzo pans have a metal tile flange around them. That will rust away in about 15-20 years.