Pre-installed irrigation tie-in?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by sethm, May 29, 2007.

1. sethm

sethm New Member

My home currently does not have an irrigation system. It is less than two years old. Inside my garage, on the exterior wall, a PVC pipe comes out of the wall, turns 90 degrees horizontally, has a ball valve, then turns another 90 and reenters the wall. On the outside of the wall is a spigot. Is this something the builder has installed where I'm supposed to tie in the sprinkler supply?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It may be, hard to say for sure. PVC pipe is not supposed to be used inside, but sometimes a DIYer will contrive something illegally with it. You should know that if you install a sprinkler system using domestic water, you must use a backflow prevention device to avoid the possibility of contaminatimg your household water. If you are using a hose attached to a hose bib coming from the house water, the bib needs to be the anti-syphon type. Regulation enforcement on this varies from place to place, so you should check with your city as to their requirements. For example, my city requires an annual inspection by a licensed technician, but other areas seem to ignore the issue.
  3. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

CPVC may be used inside in Florida....:)
    Some places it's actually preferred over copper.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I understand about CPVC, but he said he had PVC.
  5. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Is regular PVC approved for domestic water anywhere? I just assumed :D the OP was using the term PVC generically.
  6. Rancher

Rancher Guest

It's approved for domestic water supply i.e. from the meter to the house, I guess the real question is the garage considered inside the residence?

Rancher