Pre-filter for well water drinking water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mar3232, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mar3232

mar3232 Member

I have one of those Berkey water filters for my drinking water (which I love) but I use unsoftened well water to fill it. (Don't like the sodium issue in my drinking water).

Anyway, it obviously can clog up pretty quickly with the well water minerals (or is it metals?) All orange color inside.

I'd like to either purchase or build some sort of whole house filter that will at least help filter the well water for the Berkey. Or even some sort of filter I can make out of a 5 gallon bucket? then use that water to fill the Berkey.

Like I say, all other water is softened. (except garden hose of course).