pre-charged pump tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Drainplug

retired Industrial Arts teacher
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about the operation of a pre-charged water pump tank that is used in a house that has water provided from a well. If you have a pump tank lets say of 36 gallons and have the pressure limit cut on/off switch set at 40/60psi you will get about 9-9.5 gal. drawdown before it kicks the well pump on. So, if you replace the tank with a much bigger tank, say 80 gallons, using the same settings 40/60, you will get more water out before it has the well pump kick on again. But since more water comes out before the pressure builds up again, does this mean that you will have less water pressure for a longer time than if you would with the smaller capacity tank. In practical application, would the pressure of the water in the shower be less for a longer time than if one was using a smaller tank ?????? Is my thinking on track or am I missing some scientific principle that applies?

Drainplug

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Your average water pressure would be 50 psi with either size tank and time wise, you'd be operating a that psi for a longer period of time with a larger tank.

The best solution is a CSV (Cycle Stop Valve) with your smaller tank and roughly the same psi setting on the switch. That would give you constant pressure regardless of how much water (gpm) was being used in the house at any time.

They are inexpensive, usually $75-$150 for residential and especially when compared to a larger tank's cost and installation expense even if you DIY, plus you save the additional space the larger tank would require.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks