Pr e -insulated PEX Tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddie_T

Reaction score
My home is a 2400 sq ft slab on grade single story with a well. Several years back I had to re-plumb in the overhead due to a copper tubing leak under the slab. In the interest of keeping head loss down I re-plumbed with 3/4" PVC for both hot and cold. That was a mistake as I now have to deal with the delay and expense of a 65' run of 3/4" hot water pipe. I was considering a tankless water heater for the baths but changed my mind after perusing the tankless forum. I don't feel like crawling around in the overhead at my age so was considering either trying pre-insulated 1/2" PEX or just living with the problem. Any suggestions?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
There should not be any delay if your using 3/4" pipe (PVC or PEX) to the bathroom(s). Do you mean the 3/4" does not have enough volume to feed your house (presumably there are other things using water when your in the bathroom)? A 3/4" line would normally be plenty for a bathroom. IMO
Regarding getting hot water to the bathroom quicker, look at installing a return hot water line from the furthest bath. If bathroom is on second story you may be able to do a gravity loop (no pump). If house is a one story, you can install a recirculation pump to keep the water hot at the far end of the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how often you use hot water, regardless of the type of heater you use, the water in the lines will cool off eventually, insulation only slows the loss of the heat, it cannot prevent it.

Using smaller supply lines, if multiple things are being used at the same time, you'd notice the loss of flow and pressure drop.

Before I installed a recirculation system in my condo, it would take almost 2-minutes to get hot water in the shower. With it, about 5-seconds to purge a bit of the short line.

Most recirc systems, if you don't have, or can't provide a dedicated return line, use the cold line as a return. This puts at least warm water there. In my case, the way I have it set up, flushing the toilet pretty much purges that warm water and when I get to the sink, I have both hot and cold. The one I have has an adjustable control for the pump to set your desired temp, and I have mine set fairly low...it gets me warm immediately at the sink, but hot at the shower (since it's closer to the water heater). If you can add a dedicated return line, you eliminate the (slight) inconvenience of hot/warm part way into the cold lines. Mine is on a timer, so only runs while I'm normally up. The pumps used for this are quite small and do not draw much power. If your supply lines are insulated, you don't waste much heat, but you do lose some.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Mike, you're right about no difference in the delay. My biggest concern is the additional waste of hot water in purging cold water from 3/4" vice 1/2" pipe. I may just have to live with it as I am not interested in working in a crawl space attic (roof pitch is 4 in 12).

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you dont have to worry about freezing, it would not take much to fish a 3/8 recirc line from the heater to the furthest fixtuure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks