powering sprinklers from hose

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by tomshorse, Jul 14, 2005.

1. tomshorse

tomshorse New Member

is there a problem with going from a hose to pvc to sprinklers (hunter pro series 4" pop-up)? one (underground, all pvc) zone can power 7 heads like this but will going from a hose fitting to pvc deminish the psi or gpm normally?
  2. captwally

captwally New Member

Absolutely! I don't have any of my pressure loss charts handy right now, but you will find that the psi loss per foot on standard garden hose is pretty scary compared to PVC pipe. Your best bet is to run PVC directly to the zone. It's inexpensive and worth it.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

First, the hose bibb may only be on a 1/2" pipe, so it does not have the same flow capability as a 3/4" line right off the main.

Second, the loss in the hose will be significant.

Third, where is the backflow prevention in this picture?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hose

The length of the hose, it probably being coiled up, and its inside diameter, will all combine to reduce the pressure and volume. You might not be able to operate more than a coupld of heads on any one zone doing it this way. In addition, if you are using a hose, it will probably, (and hopefully), be connected to a faucet with an external vacuum breaker, which will further diminish the possible volume.