Power vent water heater required?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rick.a, Jan 11, 2007.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

I have a 40 Gal HWH in a bathroom, enclosed in a wooden cabinet. It has a power vent that exits the side exterior wall. Total horizontal run is about 2-3 feet. The blower on this is very loud. Can I get by without it or is it required because of horizontal vent, or install in a bathroom? Room does NOT have exhaust vent.
  2. You cannot modify that current venting situation. It was designed that way because evidently there is no flue chase inside the home or out.

A conversion to electric water heater would be the only modification acceptable.

*You cannot remove components from a PowerVent model heater and continue operation"
  3. rick.a

rick.a New Member

OK, thanks.
  4. GoTanklessToday

GoTanklessToday In the Trades

If your state follows UPC, then a gas water heater is prohibited in a bathroom unless its of a direct vent sealed combustion chamber design. There were a few power vent models some time ago that were, but this one doesnt sound like it. Sometimes an inspector will grant an ok for existing gas heaters in bathrooms, but its left up to interpretation (and as I have found... the mood of the inspector)