Power Shut Off to Pump with Leak Sensors?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by vpr80, May 7, 2012.

1. vpr80

vpr80 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone makes a device to shut the power to the pump off if it senses a leak?

I found numerous devices that are installed on the actual water lines with mechanical ball valves to close the main water off, but I am thinking of something simpler (and cheaper since those systems are pretty pricey). How about something to just cut the power to the pump?

Thank you.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You can use the same system to cut power to the pump. Just replace the electric ball valve with a relay that shuts off power to the motor.
  3. vpr80

vpr80 New Member

While I get the general concept, I don't understand where I would get a "relay that shuts off power to the motor" and how to connect it to the actuator?
  4. vpr80

vpr80 New Member

5. valveman

Anything that can sense a water leak and send or stop an output voltage can run a relay. The relay or contactor can disconnect power to the pump when voltage is applied or taken away. However, you will still empty the pressure tank before water stops leaking.
  6. vpr80

vpr80 New Member

I can handle 20 gals spilled, just don't want it to continually run non-stop.

On another note, I was examining my pipes yesterday at the location that I want to install the valve. I have PE3408 IDR 7 200 psi going from the well to the crawl space and then PE3306 80 psi going from there under the house to the utility room. So seems like a good spot to install the CSV. Given those ratings, I don't think that anything should fail and leak, but just in case I'll still put a sensor there.
  7. valveman

80 PSI pipe after the CSV is OK. 80 PSI before the CSV is not.