Power Rating

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by denverboz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. denverboz

denverboz New Member

OK at the risk of sounding like a dummass, I gotta ask what power rating means, as in
    power rating 120V 60 Hz 1281W, which are the specs for a Toto Neorest toilet.
    From what I can gather it doesn't seem to mean it uses 1281W, but I been wrong before. :)

However if I am right is there any way to deduce just how much power it does use just from the power rating?

TIA for any help .
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

It means you need to supply it with a minimum 15 amp circuit.
  3. denverboz

denverboz New Member

so you mean it's own dedicated circuit?
  4. Furd

Furd Engineer

I answered in the other post but yes, a dedicated 15 ampere circuit would be the best.
  5. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

If it says 1281 watts then yes, it certainly does mean it uses, or can use, 1281 watts.
    Why would you think differently?

No way. Not just from the ratings shown. If it uses a certian amount of power that's that. Unless of course there are settings on the unit that can vary the power, but that still does not change the fact that it CAN draw that much at any given time.

May I ask why this is an issue?
  6. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I also agree that a dedicated GFI protected circuit is required.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That is the maximum it could use...in 'standby' mode, it probably uses much less. To heat the water (and maybe the seat) quickly, it needs to draw some serious power. It probably does this 'on-the-fly', rather than keeping a quantity of water hot all the time. As to the seat, not sure...