Power assist takes water from adjoining toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

ctmom

Reaction score
I bought a new Cimarron on the advice of the plumbing supply store. Hate the lack of bowl was. Went to consumer reports and picked the Kohler High line power flush.The flush is so strong it takes the water out of the Cimarron which is in an adjoining bathroom. Called Kohler they said the vent was blocked and I should flush it from the roof with a garden hose. I did that and it didn't do anything other than waste a whole lot of water. Any suggestions? I'm also not thrilled with the noise. I can't return it of course. should I chuck it and chalk it up to experience?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So there are still people out there that trust the guys at Consumer Reports when it comes to toilets?

With all the people reporting here on their experiences, why would you read and believe two non plumbing geeks that are afraid to get their white lab coats dirty by using a toilet?

When you go on CR's plumbing advice, you basically get untried product testing. At least never tried in a home.
Based on how CR does it's testing, I guess I would be qualified to write on the NASA space program.
I could make some paper airplanes and fly them around my living room.

The product that I've had the best "homeowner" comments on, the one I get the most "repeat" sales on, has been the Toto Drake.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The only way that could happen, assuming the vent is not plugged, (just running water down it may not be proof that it is open, if the water has an alternate path to drain, which would be more common than not), is if you have a very "weird" plumbing installation

ctmom

Reaction score
I didn't find this site until after I had the problem! I'm hoping to go with the Toto Drake for my 3rd (and final) bathroom remodel. It's a small powder room so I need a round toilet. Also my mother in law is handicapped and needs what she calls a "high rise" Is the Drake still the best choice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Round and High?

The Toto Drake ADA is elongated and 16.5" high, 28" long
The Toto Dalton is either round or elongated, and 16.125" high. 26.25" and 28" long

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
When you have toilets back to back as in apratments, if there is a lack of vent, what will happen is the water will try to pull it from the closet source i.e: the other toilet.
You will need to check the vent.

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
The problem could be caused by a blockage (even a partial one) in the vent or drainline but could also be caused by a drain/waste/vent (DWV) system that doesn't meet applicable codes.

Pressure-assist toilets are considered "force discharge fixtures" which, according to section 405.4 of the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC), cannot be connected with a standard Tee fitting like conventional gravity toilets.

The relevant text reads:
"Approved Wye or other non-directional type branch fittings shall be installed in all continuous wastes connecting or receiving the discharge from food waste disposal units, dishwashers, clotheswashers (sic) or other force discharge fixtures or appliances."

If your vents and drainline are clear, the problem may be that your toilets are connected to your DWV system with directional "Tee" fittings instead of non-directional "Wye" fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks