Pouring muratic acid in the flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachary Yarnes

Reaction score
Don't know if I'll get flack or not but I work at a small apartment complex and the apartments generally have low end toilets in them, mostly Eljer and Gerber. San Antonio is also known for having water about as hard as the average brick and it tends to take it's toll on these after a few years. I recently started pouring muratic acid in the hole of the flush valves with the water off and the flapper removed and so far it has, every time, restored the operating condition to like new, I've had some real surprised tenants who are real happy not to keep calling me for clogs and overflows (makes me happy as well). Just wanted to get a professional opinion on this before I continue doing it

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro, but I have used muriatic in a toilet in small doses. Terrible vapors. I say window open, hold breath, work fast, leave bathroom, close door. By terrible, I don't mean distasteful or unpleasant. I mean harming lungs and eyes.

It is pretty effective compared to other chemicals, and it does not discolor the porcelain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks