potassium chloride usage question

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think all of those valves are X100 Gal.

I have a 5600 and when I do a manual regen, it adds up, On available gallons.

If it goes all the way around, it changes the Gallons per regen. I have to reset it.

That Valve / Timer may work the same ?

Have Fun.

Last edited:

jayinct

Reaction score
Good call. He did not show meter assembly picture, but the front picture identified the problem.
Maybe the picture of the back would have shown some label or other indication of what model variation he has. But I think the primary mystery has been solved.

He will still be looking for suggestion on modifying his settings for his NaCL use when he converts from KCl. But maybe now that his KCl usage would only be 10 to 20 percent of what it was, he will not convert right away.
Yes, the primary mystery has been solved! I just spoke to the "filter manager" at the water company and he said it should have been set on 20 not 2! Amazing since I had them out shortly after installation to see why I was using so much potassium and was told everything was fine. Although I can set it myself, I want them to come and correct the problem. They said they'll come "free of charge". Imagine that! Ha! When I'm satisfied that all is well, I won't be using them anymore. I've had other issues with them but this one sealed the deal. Once I use up this potassium, and I suspect it will take a while, I will be switching to salt so will definitely be talking to you guys again. I also said that I expect compensation for their expensive mistake. We'll see what happens.
I've pulled the plug for now so it doesn't regenerate again. Does all this regeneration mean that I have a large amount of potassium in my water or that it's just a big waste of $ and wear and tear on my softener? Is there anything else I need to know about this before they come?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does all this regeneration mean that I have a large amount of potassium in my water or that it's just a big waste of $ and wear and tear on my softener?
Just the waste. The resin and water have not been hurt.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Jayinct, I'm glad you're receiving more assistance with your potassium consumption issue.

Reviewing your photos, the program wheel on your unit is definitely not the same as shown in the service manual but the manual does state as a NOTE on page 7 that "the program wheel shown may be different than the program wheel on the product". If your white dot is at '2' (it is not visible in your photo), it is definitely programmed to regenerate @ 200 Gals, not 2000. The installer obviously did not confirm your program wheel is the same model as shown in the manual and really did not confirm the programming when you had him return to verify.

In viewing your photo showing the pins, I realize there are two other discrepancies, one of which I am to blame.

Based upon the information you provided, I stated there were 6 holes (12 minutes) between the pin grouping at #68-76 to the two at #88 & 90. As we are talking the number of 'holes' BETWEEN, this would make it 5 holes, not 6. This was my miscalculation.

In close inspection of your photo, I do not see a pin in #68 as you indicated, but the 5 pins are in #70, 72, 74, 76 & 78. This then further reduces the 'holes' before pin #88 so there are only actually 4 holes (8 minutes) set for your brine fill timing.

Your brine fill flow is actually: 4 holes X 2 min/hole X 0.5 gal/min = 4 Gals. Therefore, your potassium consumption is 4 Gals X 1.75lbs (with ~67F brine water) = 7 lbs per regeneration.

Your potassium efficiency, if you only correct the regeneration interval to 2000 gals, then works out to 16,000 grains (2000 gals X 8 grains) / 7 lbs = 2285 grains/lb. This continues to be IMHO, poor efficiency but again, I'm unfamiliar what is expected when using potassium. Perhaps the other potassium experienced posters can offer suggestions for better efficiency.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Wear and tear... that valve can regenerate thousands of times without a problem. You should have very soft water! Hardness leakage calculations... anyways, you will be fine, just a little lost KCL, very expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks