Possible P Trap Siphon?

Users who are viewing this thread

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
I am having an issue with a sewer gas smell that comes from the washing machine standpipe drain. Everything is fine until you drain full sink of water from the kitchen sink above. I am wondering if the trap gets siphoned when this happens. Do I need a vent somewhere?

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,030

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's not the first kitchen sink that I've seen that siphoned the washer below it.
The washer needs a vent before entering the stack.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am having an issue with a sewer gas smell that comes from the washing machine standpipe drain. Everything is fine until you drain full sink of water from the kitchen sink above. I am wondering if the trap gets siphoned when this happens. Do I need a vent somewhere?

Although this is or has been legal in some states, it can cause siphoning of the trap for the washer stand pipe. A properly located and installed vent could solve this problem.

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
So could I just put in an AAV at the position in this picture? If yes, any particular brand I should go with?

Attachments

• plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,328
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks